hello all

Post Reply
ratty2e
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:15 am

hello all

Post by ratty2e » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:35 am

I am building a ms1 extra along with the jimstim. its intended use is for a honda gx25 engine, to run fuel and spark. The engine is used to power a small vehicle i am building to compete in the shell eco marathon (the aim is to do as many mpg as possible). I will be running both gasoline and 100% e100 ethanol. Last year we had troubled time, and only achieved 1506mpg ,using a standard carb. with fuel injection this year i hope to achieve at least 4000mpg. :P

jbelanger
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Re: hello all

Post by jbelanger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:46 pm

Welcome to the board!

I wish I were doing 1/10th your "bad" result with my car :).

I know this is more expense but you should really consider going with MS2. This would allow you to use sequential injection and have a stable MAP reading due to the latest MAP sampling strategy and you would have a much more precise injection pulse width. I would think all these would make a significant difference in a small single-cylinder engine tuned for optimal fuel economy.

Jean
Image

ratty2e
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:15 am

Re: hello all

Post by ratty2e » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:05 pm

what would be involved in up grading to ms2 ,can i just replace the chip with the ms2 board or is there more to it than that?

The event is only for two days every year ,so money is a bit tight and i find it a bit hard to justify to much money!

I am using a 3/8 diameter throttle body so i don't know whether the vacuum (speed density ) will work, or will i have to alpha numeric instead? I intend using a wideband lci sensor ,and switchable maps for the gasoline and ethanol.

with the ms2 is it possible for it inject every two cycle (e.g 8stroke) instead of the normal four stroke. if it is it should save considerable fuel ,as long as i have a heavy enough fly wheel to keep the momentum up?

also i would like to up load a photo of my car. Can you please tell me how i go about doing this ??

jbelanger
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Re: hello all

Post by jbelanger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:24 pm

ratty2e wrote:what would be involved in up grading to ms2 ,can i just replace the chip with the ms2 board or is there more to it than that?
Yes it's as simple as that since you're running a single cylinder. If you had more than 2 cylinders then you'd need some modification to us sequential injection but for 1 and 2 cylinder engines you don't need to do any modification
ratty2e wrote:The event is only for two days every year ,so money is a bit tight and i find it a bit hard to justify to much money!

I am using a 3/8 diameter throttle body so i don't know whether the vacuum (speed density ) will work, or will i have to alpha numeric instead? I intend using a wideband lci sensor ,and switchable maps for the gasoline and ethanol.
It's difficult to say but the new code will give you the best chances for successfully using speed density. I guess you've seen mik777 posts on msefi and msextra forums. He has done quite a bit of testing with his single-cylinder engine and has had very good results with the latest code.
ratty2e wrote:with the ms2 is it possible for it inject every two cycle (e.g 8stroke) instead of the normal four stroke. if it is it should save considerable fuel ,as long as i have a heavy enough fly wheel to keep the momentum up?

also i would like to up load a photo of my car. Can you please tell me how i go about doing this ??
The code won't do one injection per 2 cycles but you could trick it by using a divide-by-2 circuit on the cam signal. This would give the wrong RPM but you could compensate for it quite easily. You'd need to use wasted spark to have one spark per cycle just to make sure that the spark and fuel are in sync.

You could upload you pictures on one of the free picture hosting site and link to it and use the img button at the top of the posting window.

Jean
Image

Post Reply