Hello from Florida!

Lesphoto

Hello from Florida!

Post by Lesphoto » Thu May 07, 2020 9:23 am

Good Morning. I'm Les and I've been using Microsquirt for over 7 years. I'm very happy with it's capabilities and I'm interested in using it to turbo my Mazda Rotary 13b. I will be using the Microsquirt for both fuel and spark. I'm working on a test stand set up right now, and looking to use the Tiny I/Ox for additional data channels.

I'm currently seeing:

Coolant temp
Inlet Air Temp
RPM
Baro (manifold)
AFR (single)
Voltage

In addition to the standard I/O I want to see and log:

EGT (2)
Turbo Speed
Oil Pressure
Oil Temp
Fuel Flow
Fuel Level
Fuel Pressure
Coolant Pressure
Baro Reference

I have some spare ADC's on the microsquirt-ADC 5, 29 and the Flex fuel input 6.

Am I able to use CAN and connect the Tiny I/Ox to my Microsquirt along with 5v and ground?

I need the data for tuning and verifying my systems are working.

Thanks for your help and your product!

jbelanger

Re: Hello from Florida!

Post by jbelanger » Fri May 08, 2020 1:36 am

Powering the TIOx from the Microsquirt is not really recommended because of the very limited current capacity of the Microsquirt power supply (not the electronic components but rather the limited heat dissipation capacity). So it would be much better to use a separate power supply to provide 5V. You would use the same ground.

You have up to 9 analog inputs available on the TIOx but you are limited to 8 if you go through the Microsquirt CAN ADC inputs and the Microsquirt datalog. You can datalog the TIOx inputs from TunerStudio through the Microsquirt and the CAN bus using CAN passthrough.

You will need to build all the conditioner circuits for the inputs. That means you will need thermocouple input circuits for the EGT and simpler conditioner circuits for the other analog inputs. The turbo speed will need some sort of input circuit which will depend on the sensor you're using and may also require a divider circuit to get the input frequency to a reasonable value. I'm not sure what type of sensor you're using for fuel flow but that might also require a frequency input.

With all the inputs, I'm not sure you will be able to fit all the needed components on the proto area of the TIOx so you will likely need some additional perforated prototyping board or a custom board. And you will need an enclosure of some sort to fit that with the TIOx and the additional power supply. The small size of the Microsquirt prevents you from using its case; you can do that when using an MS2 or MS3.

Jean

Lesphoto

Post by Lesphoto » Fri May 08, 2020 7:29 am

Thanks! All helpful advice. I've ordered my Tiny I/Ox and will be back with more questions for certain.

Lesphoto

Post by Lesphoto » Sat May 09, 2020 8:17 am

Providing an independent power supply and ground with a separate sensor ground is no problem. Are there diagrams for the conditioner circuits required?

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Sat May 09, 2020 1:01 pm

You can copy what is done on the Megasquirt board V3.0. Check the MS2 manual: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2 ... 4-168.html. That only covers part of the sensors but you will need to provide more details. Also the EGT circuit can be this one: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS3 ... .5-43.html

Jean