LEA-6H GPS module

If you have ideas for a new board, for new features for existing boards, or want to suggest new applications for the I/O Extender, this is the place to post.

LEA-6H GPS module

Postby 357supermagnum » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Perhaps it is possible to replace the GPS module with one from ublox.
The specs for the Ublox-6 family:

Multi-constellation variants:
GPS (LEA-6A/S)
GPS, GLONASS,Galileo ready (LEA-6H)
GPS/QZSS, GLONASS,Galileo (LEA-6N)
Optimized mode for low power and maximum sensitivity
UART, USB and DDC (I2C compliant) interfaces
Integrated antenna supervisor

u-blox 6 position engine:
Navigate down to –162 dBm and –148 dBm coldstart
Faster acquisition with AssistNow Autonomous
Configurable power management
Hybrid GPS/SBAS engine (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS)
Anti-jamming technology
Simple integration with u-blox wireless modules
A-GPS: AssistNow Online and AssistNow Offline services, OMA SUPL compliant
Backward compatible (hardware and firmware); easy migration from LEA-5 or LEA-4 families
LCC package for reliable and cost effective manufacturing
Compatible with u-blox GPS Solution for Android
Based on GNSS chips qualified according to AEC-Q100
Manufactured in ISO/TS 16949 certified production sites
Qualified according to ISO 16750

Documentation :
http://www.u-blox.com/en/gps-modules/pv ... amily.html

A EVAL module is avaible here:
http://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=35
357supermagnum

Re: LEA-6H GPS module

Postby jbelanger » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:04 am

Well, one of the problem with the u-blox products is their availability. And the eval module you linked to is twice the price of the Sparkfun unit and it also has a different footprint so that mean it won't fit on the current board. It has good specs but so does the Venus638FLPx on the Sparkfun unit. And there is absolutely no information on the eval module from the place where they sell it.

Having said that if you can fit it in the case and you can configure it for NMEA, the IOx code should be able to read the data assuming you have access to the TTL serial port and that the unit is a 3.3V (or a 5V) unit. There might be a need to tweak the code because I may have taken a few shortcuts with how I parse the NMEA data but that should not be a major issue.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby 357supermagnum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:42 am

The I/O board could supply the needed voltage over the USB bus, and recieve NMEA signals from a external GPS puck.

Why a combined GPS/GLONASS/GALILEO unit is interensting:
According to Russian System of Differentional Correction and Monitoring's data, as of 2010, precisions of GLONASS navigation definitions (for p=0.95) for latitude and longitude were 4.46—7.38 m with mean number of NSV equals 7—8 (depending on station). In comparison, the same time precisions of GPS navigation definitions were 2.00—8.76 m with mean number of NSV equals 6—11 (depending on station). Civilian GLONASS used alone is therefore very slightly less accurate than GPS. On high latitudes (north or south), GLONASS' accuracy is better than that of GPS due to the orbital position of the satellites.

Some modern receivers (Garmin extrex 20 and 30) are able to use both GLONASS and GPS satellites together, providing greatly improved coverage in urban canyons and giving a very fast time to fix due to over 50 satellites being available. In indoor, urban canyon or mountainous areas, accuracy can be greatly improved over using GPS alone. For using both navigation systems simultaneously, precisions of GLONASS/GPS navigation definitions were 2.37—4.65 m with mean number of NSV equals 14—19 (depends on station).

In May 2009, Anatoly Perminov the then director of the Russian Federal Space Agency stated that actions were undertaken to expand GLONASS's constellation and to improve the ground segment in order to increase the navigation definition of GLONASS to an accuracy of 2.8 m by 2011.

When fully operational,Galileo will be a free service. It is intended to provide horizontal and vertical positions measurements within 1 meter precision, and better positioning services at high latitudes than other positioning systems.

Both the GPS and the GLONASS constellations are at the time of this writing fully operational and have global coverage.
China is expanding on their existing Beidou constellation with the intent of making it a global system. The latter is often referred to in the West as Compass.
357supermagnum

Postby jbelanger » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:48 am

The standard USB port on the IOx is not a host device so that would not work. However, it is possible to install this: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... IP1-32.pdf. I have provided the needed pads for it but I haven't tested it so I don't know if that would work in that case.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to Wish List & Requests