Cruise control/ electronic trottle board

If you have ideas for a new board, for new features for existing boards, or want to suggest new applications for the I/O Extender, this is the place to post.

Cruise control/ electronic trottle board

Postby 357supermagnum » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:33 am

As some cars has a GPPS sensor (Gas Pedal Position Sensor), and a VVS sensor, a trottle body with a stepper motor and a TPS. It should be possible to make a board that reads the GPPS sensor, and the VVS sensor along with optional GPS speed information from the I/O board. A simple momentary closed switch connected to a input wire can be used to set and activate the cruise control. A prosessor then commands a stepper motor to add more air/trottle if the vechile speed falls under a set hysteresis window. And back up on the trottle if the vehicle speed gets over the same hysteresis window.

Depressing the brake,gas pedal or clutch pedal will disable the system so the driver can change the speed without resistance from the system. The brake light switch can be used to disable the system.

Inputs needed:
+12V (from ignition)
Engine ground

TPS power ( if dual TPS sensors)
TPS signal
TPS ground (possible ground loop problems, could be fixed with a separate TPS)

GPPS signal
GPPS ground

VVS power
VVS signal
VVS ground

Stepper motor controll wires:

CAN-Low (CAN-)
GND (Ground)
CAN-High (CAN+)
CAN V+ (Power)
USB port

Re: Cruise control/ electronic trottle board

Postby jbelanger » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:01 am

That could be interesting. From your description of the stepper motor outputs, I assume this is a unipolar stepper motor. This means the center wire is a fixed 12V so there is no real need to have it go through the board. Also, some unipolar motors can be driven by a bipolar stepper motor driver (such as the one on MS2 and MS3) with the center wire left unconnected.

One of the problem is that I don't have the hardware available so developing a board and code to control it is not a practical situation.

Return to Wish List & Requests