Controller for a HE351ve VGT turbo

If you have ideas for a new board, for new features for existing boards, or want to suggest new applications for the I/O Extender, this is the place to post.

Controller for a HE351ve VGT turbo

Postby dsatchell » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:32 am

The HE351ve VGT turbo is from a 2008 Dodge Cummins turbo and utilizes variable vane technology allowing it spool like a small turbo and then shift to flow like a large turbo. It is controlled by an electronic module that is part of the truck. A number of people are trying to make a aftermarket unit for it but I am only aware of 1 for sale and it is $650.

If you designed something that would work with MS you would make a killing.

David.
dsatchell

Re: Controller for a HE351ve VGT turbo

Postby jbelanger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:59 am

It would be interesting but I don't have access to one nor do I have the technical information. Do you have any links to the technical details?

Jean
jbelanger

Postby dsatchell » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:18 pm

I think this post has about the best info I have been able to find. http://www.homemadeturbo.com/showthread.php?t=117261 There are two main methods of re-using the built-in (servo) motor; with the oem circuit board, and removing the circuit board. I don't know which is best but it seems to me that removing the circuit board would be a good idea as I personally don't like the idea of a circuit board being that close to the turbo. But being able to just take a box from you and splice it into the existing wire harness without having to modify the turbo at all would be so much easier for people. I guess ideally you could have two versions, one for people with a good board and a second to replace a blown board so someone doesn't have to buy an expensive OEM replacement.

If it really came down to it I would be willing to purchase a turbo and have it sent to you for testing but it would take me some time to get it since I've got so many things going on right now.
dsatchell

Postby jbelanger » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:27 am

I just had a quick look at the link but I would need to check things out in much greater details to see what would be doable. I'm also not clear if the OEM board is only controlled through CAN or can be controlled through PWM. If it only uses CAN then that's a problem because without the protocol it's impossible to use and the protocol certainly is not readily available. It would be possible to reverse engineer it with a complete system (OEM ECU and running engine) but that would be a huge job.

Even the PWM signal may not be easily used because you need to have the frequency and what the duty cycle range is. It's easier to find out what those are but still quite time consuming.

So the most straightforward is probably a replacement circuit. But that definitely requires the hardware to do anything. And that is also a job that would take some time and effort.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby dsatchell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:46 am

I've been reading all over the internet trying to get the info about the CAN and basically it is a waste of time to mess with the CAN. I think these three video's show the best alternative where the circuit board is removed and the motor is driven by an arduino board with the hall sensors. I like this better anyways as it would get the circuitry out of the engine bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM3XJFpT79Q&feature=BFa&list=ULUSf44qa_9H8
dsatchell

Postby jbelanger » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:54 am

I had seen the video linked in the thread you linked before. That doesn't tell that much about that actual wiring but gives an idea. But that would require access to a complete unit and quite a bit of testing and experimentation.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to Wish List & Requests