Gauges and Displays

If you have ideas for a new board, for new features for existing boards, or want to suggest new applications for the I/O Extender, this is the place to post.

Re: Gauges and Displays

Postby jbelanger » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:23 pm

aarc240 wrote:At present I'm more concerned about preventing catastrophic failure.

Always a good idea.
jbelanger

Postby aarc240 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:21 am

A progress update.
I located an LCD display that will work well, part no VS162B1 Y-G
Yellow green background, the characters are just under 10mm high, 16 x 2 format and a real bonus, LED backlit with separate input for that, about $7 ex China.
After a little searching on good ol' eBay, sourced an adjustable power supply to suit for $5, again ex China.
I chose this particular supply as it uses the LM2596 IC which has a single pin TTL compatible enable.
A small modification to that board, wire it to a port pin on the mega128 board and the display can remain dark until the firmware detects an 'abnormal' condition.
Even better, testing has shown the mega128 board inputs are so little load the IOx sees the same signal levels with and without the mega128 board.
Now for a quick and dirty compiled BASIC application to interpret the inputs, feed the display as needed and I'm in business!!
aarc240

Postby Rod S » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:28 am

jbelanger wrote:What would make more sense in terms of display (not that I'm suggesting all of those are possible): analog gauges, individual digital gauges, a single screen with multiple gauges, multiple screens, simple LED bar graphs, none of them, all of them, something else?

And nothing concrete has been done on this. But some of the options above would be doable, some more easily than others.

Jean

Jean,

Any further thoughts on this ?

I like what aarc240 is doing but, if I've understood his approach right, it is intercepting tha analogue signals and using another microprocessor to interpret them and drive a display. (if I've mis-interpretted it, aarc240, I apologise in advance !!!)

I would still prefer to let the inputs all go through the MS2/3 and IOx and take the data from either CAN, I2C (or even RS232) to drive the "display".

From your list of "doables" above, my personal preference would be anything digital (not dial gauges or bar displays, just simple numbers), but whether it was individuals or multiples is really down to cost.
Inspired by aarc240, I've been investigating the HD44780 displays, cheap, available in either 16X2 or 20X4 and seem relatively easy to drive with a PIC microcontroller but the size of the characters seems rather too small for a car dashboard.

EDIT - plus I should add, numbers alone (ie, 7 segment LED/LCD) would suffice for me, rather than alpha/numeric, I would just print a label to go next to each number :D

Rod.
Rod S

Postby jbelanger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Rod,

I haven't looked into this at all since the last time. It's still on the to-do list but I don't know when I'll come around to it.

How about a Nixie tube display? :D

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Rod S » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm

jbelanger wrote:How about a Nixie tube display? :D

Jean,

I am absolutely ancient as you know, but even I had to Google that one :mrgreen:

Rod.
Rod S

Postby Jazz30-06 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:44 am

How about something like:

http://www.buydisplay.com/default/7-inc ... spi-serial

being run by and Arduino? They already have an Arduino library and wiring diagrams on how to link the two together. they can even communicate through I2C, and it's relatively simple to make the Arduino read CANbus hardware-wise.
Jazz30-06

Previous

Return to Wish List & Requests