Ruggedizing Case/Hardware to High End Commercial Standards

If you have ideas for a new board, for new features for existing boards, or want to suggest new applications for the I/O Extender, this is the place to post.

Re: Ruggedizing Case/Hardware to High End Commercial Standar

Postby jbelanger » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:03 pm

I need to change one thing in the pinout mentioned above: I'll need to use 6 pins (instead of 4) for the 2 VR/Hall inputs. The 2 extra pins are to cover all the possible input configurations. I wanted to use some internal configuration to do that but due to the potentially high voltage of VR sensors, it will be more reliable and simple to use external connections for the pull up. So these additional pins will need to be connected to 12V (or 5V?) if a pull up is needed. It will also be possible to connect this to VR- when using some of the sensors which produce a signal that is too high in which case the internal resistor will act as a shunt between VR+ and VR-.

These pins will reduce the number of extra outputs from 4 to 2. I also need to investigate if I'll need to have additional 12V and ground pins to reduce potential noise in which case there would be no extra output. However all the extra features would still be covered and any unused feature could be used as an extra output (and if using a 2 wire idle valve, the other output could be used as an extra output). But I can also keep 2 extra outputs and remove the 2 extra ADC inputs if it seems like a better configuration. This is still not certain but if needed, I'd like to hear what would be the preferred alternative. I thought it would be useful to have the additional ADCs for something like EGT inputs (would still need external thermocouple amplifiers like my quad-EGT board).

I'll also make a new thread in the new board section since this is now upgraded from a wish list item to a work in progress.

Jean

EDIT: the new thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=776#p3153
jbelanger

Postby dontz125 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:46 pm

jbelanger wrote:
dontz125 wrote:I'm looking at the Mini-ME drawings right now, and it JUST doesn't fit. Any chance of skimming off 0.1" at the bottom, and adding a 0.12 x 0.36" notch to the uSM? :roll:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I saw and unfortunately, _just_ doesn't fit still does not fit. I wish I could simply do my own complete board which would get rid of a bunch of useless components and be a hell of a lot cheaper. And it could fit in a nice tiny enclosure.

dontz125 wrote:Allied Electronics has it in their catalogue, but none in stock yet.

That's funny that it did not turn up on my search. I have doubts about it becoming easily available soon but I'll keep an eye out. I also haven't bought anything from Allied Electronics so I don't know how their service to Canada is.

Jean

This point may be moot for this discussion, but may be pertinent for something else: I received a quote this morning from Allied regarding the ModICE ME enclosure. Cinch is back-ordered, with a 6 week lead time; first deliveries will be around 29 August. (The comments weren't entirely clear - this 6 weeks may or may not improve.) The ME 30-pin header is C$16.95; the non-vented ME enclosure is C$12.18. Shipping to Toronto is C$15, *including* Customs.
dontz125

Postby jbelanger » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 am

Thank you for the information. That's an attractive price and a very reasonable shipping charge. I assume they have their customs agent.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I think this enclosure would be nice for a rugged version of the IOx. I'd have to see what could be fitted in that small case but that could make for a nice addition to a rugged ECU. If anyone has suggestions or requests, I more than welcome them.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby genderen » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Hello,

Out of interest, what's the status of this? I'm also interested in this. Are you using the ME or the SE/LE enclosure?

Thanks,

Patrick
genderen

Postby jbelanger » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Have you see this: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=776&p=3706#p3706?

It's getting close to production. And it uses the ME enclosure.

Jean
jbelanger

Previous

Return to Wish List & Requests