Jimstim ignition LEDs

If you have ideas for a new board, for new features for existing boards, or want to suggest new applications for the I/O Extender, this is the place to post.

Jimstim ignition LEDs

Postby Old Colt » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:05 am

I have just redone the ignition outputs on one of my V3 mainboards to utilize PNP transistors. This now gives me a +5V pulse to fire my external ignitors, in this case a COP setup with Denso coils.
Now what I run into with the Jimstim is that the ignition LEDs want to be sunk by the transistors, not receive a 5V pulse so they do not function with this output.

I would like to see a set of SPDT dip switches on the power side of the LEDs allowing for the selection of either the 5V power to them as they are now or to go to ground for when the ECU is putting out a 5V trigger pulse.
I am going to modify my Jimstim with a KAT1108E switch between the resistors and the +5V supply allowing me the choice of applying power to the LEDs or driving to ground.
This my not be the optimum switch but it will be a proof of concept, Digikey # EG4555-ND
Jumpers might be an option as well.

At this time I have run my outputs through the IAC LEDs since they have a choice of circuits, this works fine for two circuits at a time.

It might be nice to have two more INJ LEDs as well :D
Regards,
Charlie north
If it ain't broke, Modify it!

ffmsd.com
Old Colt

Re: Jimstim ignition LEDs

Postby jbelanger » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:05 am

I'll keep that in mind for a future revision. The design was done when logic-level COPs were not common and when there were only 2 injector channels.

But you should be able to use 2 ignition LEDs for the 2 additional injector channels together with 4 LEDs for ignition. For testing purposes, you could reverse the ignition output in TS and have the LEDs flashing.

Jean
jbelanger

Re: Jimstim ignition LEDs

Postby Old Colt » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:12 am

Good idea on using the ignition LED for the additional fuel outputs.

I find the change to the PNP transistors will also help with Mitsubishi ignitors since I have not been getting a solid reliable spark using pullups with the existing transistors.

I expect we will be seeing quite a few logic level driven ignitions in the next few years with the coils coming on the market at attractive prices. From what I see in my current build are fewer components both in the MS box as well as outside.
Regards,
Charlie north
If it ain't broke, Modify it!

ffmsd.com
Old Colt

Return to Wish List & Requests