Signal Interceptor now available

http://jbperf.com/signal_interceptor/index.html

Signal Interceptor now available

Postby jbelanger » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:31 pm

The Signal Interceptor Board is available again. You can get one here.

Please note that I only have the bare boards and not a kit. You have to buy the needed components from an electronics vendor. The BOM is available here.

Jean
jbelanger

Re: Signal Interceptor now available

Postby sjgharib » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Jean,
Just got my board. Looks good.

However, I noticed that the tracks for SPR2-4 through the jumper header are fairly thin. I'm driving the 2nd one of my coils through SPR4, so I think I may need to beef it up. What do you think?

Thanks,
Simon
sjgharib

Postby jbelanger » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Simon,

That's the reason there is a screw terminal. You don't want to use the pin header because it's limited to about 3A. You want to run a wire between the screw terminal besides the male DB37 to the screw terminal on the side. With the wire you have connected both DB37 corresponding pins and if you need to break the signal, you simply remove the wire on one end.

That's not as practical as the pin header jumper but it will carry the current for your coil without any issue (if you use the appropriate wire gauge, of course).

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tptrsn » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi JEAN,

Where is the best writeup of the features and functions of this board? I'm interested in whether it might do anything to signals to allow tuning via megaquirt while keeping factory ECUs happy?
tptrsn

Postby jbelanger » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:17 am

The board is basically a breakout board. It doesn't do anything to the signals. It just allows access to all of them and allows the redirection of the inputs and outputs.

So you can put the board between the MS and the JimStim. You could then use the real MAT sensor or CLT sensor and check the calibration. You could do the same with the TPS. You could use to test the injectors or the ignition or another output (those would require an appropriate power source and adequate ground connections).

You could also connect the board between the MS and the car wiring loom in a temporary or permanent way. This way you have access to all the signals without having to open the MS case. You could also use the on-board LEDs to visualize the injector or other output signals with or without interrupting the signal. You could interrupt one of the sensor signal and use an external signal to simulate some conditions that can't be easily reproduce or that you don't want to reproduce. You could use the JimStim to simulate the inputs using the screw terminals on both boards.

I'm not sure I see what you want to do or how you'd want to set things up. The board is purely passive so if you need to do something to a signal you'd need to add another circuit. But you could do that without cutting into you MS wiring loom by simply putting the signal interceptor board and accessing the needed signals.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tptrsn » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:52 am

Thanks Jean, that helps for now.
tptrsn

Postby juansh2385 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:01 pm

Jean do you plan on doing more i was browsing your web store and notice they are out of stock. I intend to use one of this to diagnose wiring problems in the car when the units past stim testing but are not functioning adequately in the car normally because of wiring issues.
juansh2385

Postby jbelanger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:16 am

I'll have a look but that would be about a month before I get the new boards.
jbelanger

Return to Signal Interceptor