Ruggedized ECU

New boards that are planned or are in development

Re: Ruggedized ECU

Postby jbelanger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Mike,

No there isn't.

This is the pinout:

By the way, analog ground might be a bit of a misnomer; it's actually the high current ground for the injectors and the medium current outputs (OUT1-6). The 12V besides it is also for the flyback for those medium current outputs and the FP and IDL outputs; this is a "dirty" 12V return so that noise is not added to the 12V supply to the board. Therefore, it should be routed independently from the 12V used to supply the ECU (simply use two wires all the way to the same switched supply).

The medium current outputs (OUT1-6) are connected to the MiniIOx and can be used as PWM outputs or digital outputs. The ignition outputs are for logic level coils but they can be setup for either 5V or 12V coils; they also work for coils which need more current than the standard Microsquirt output can give, e.g., some VW "logic-level" COPs. The other I/Os on that connector are the standard I/Os from the Microsquirt module. The 12V and ground pins also power the rest of the ECU (MiniIOx and other circuits) and the CAN bus is also connected to the MiniIOx.

The TBL_SW (table switch) and LAUNCH pins are connected to the PE1 and FLEX pins on the module using an active low input circuit so you ground those to activate the pin using some switch to ground. The NOS_IN pin is connected to the PA0 pin on the module using an active high input circuit so that a 12V signal will activate the input. Of course, those inputs can be used for other features that are available for those inputs pins in the different settings.

The VR inputs are connected to a MAX9926 input circuit and can be configured for VR or Hall/optical inputs (configuration is shown below). The A1-3 inputs are 3 analog inputs that are connected to the MiniIOx and can be used to log any 0-5V analog signal; VREF is the voltage reference for those as well as the ADCs on the module. The RX_I and TX_I pins are connected to the serial port on the MiniIOx and can be used to read the digital data from an LC-1 chain. The LCL and LDA pins are connected to the I2C bus on the MiniIOx through a bus extender chip: you can use these to read the digital data from SLC-OEM module but you will need a bus extender interface on that side also.

There are different things that can be configured on the board. The picture below shows the location of the small DIP switch that enables the terminating resistor for the CAN bus. The CAN bus needs to have a terminating resistor at both ends and there is one on the Microsquirt module and one on the Mega4 board. If there are no external CAN device connected to the CAN bus then the resistor has to be present and the switch needs to be set to ON (default position). If there is an external device with a terminating resistor then the switch needs to be set to OFF to remove the resistor from the bus.

There are also different jumpers on the board as shown in the picture below. There's a jumper for the ignition outputs, three jumpers for the three MiniIOx ADC inputs, and two jumpers for the VR inputs. You will need to remove the Microsquirt module to access the jumpers (and the CAN terminating resistor DIP switch) and set them.

The ignition jumper can be set to either a 5V logic level output (default position) as shown on the left below or a 12V low current output as shown on the right.

Image.............................Image

The three ADC inputs can be set to have a bias resistor when using them for resistive sensors such as thermistor temperature sensor. The value of the bias resistor is 2.49k which is the standard value for a GM type sensor. The pictures below show the jumpers when using sensors that provide a 0-5V signal on the left (no jumper) and how to set jumper if the first input A1 is used with a thermistor (A2 and A3 do not have the bias resistor enabled).

Image.............................Image

The VR inputs have two sets of jumpers as shown below. The first picture shows the default setting where both the VR1 and VR2 inputs are set for VR sensors; no jumper is needed for this. The top section is for VR1, which is for the primary (crank) tach input, and the bottom section is for VR2, which is for the secondary (cam) tach input. Note that the position of the different pads is a mirror image for VR2 so care should be taken when using the jumpers and take that in consideration.

The picture below shows how to set the jumpers for a 5V Hall (or optical) sensor. This adds a pull up resistor to 5V on the VR+ pin so that no external resistor is needed. In that case, VR- needs to be left floating (not connected to anything). The same applies for VR2.

The picture below shows how to set the jumpers for a 12V Hall (or optical) sensor. This adds a pull up resistor to 12V on the VR+ pin so that no external resistor is needed. In that case, VR- needs to be left floating (not connected to anything). The same applies for VR2.

The picture below shows how to set the jumper for a shunt resistor. This setting puts a resistor between VR+ and VR- and is for VR sensors that either generate a very high voltage or suffer from excessive noise at low RPM. With this jumper in place, the VR sensor is simply connected normally with one wire on VR+ and the other on VR-.

The unit comes pre-loaded with the latest firmware on both the Microsquirt module and the MiniIOx and configured to use the I/Os on the MiniIOx. The default settings on the MiniIOx should not need to be adjusted so a Microsquirt module project, with the corresponding MS2/Extra ini, should be all that's needed. If needed, a CAN device can be added to the project to configure the MiniIOx; the ini for this is available here.

This should cover most of what you need to set the hardware. I will add more for what needs to be set on both the module and the MiniIOx to use the different additional I/Os. If you have a need for some information on these right away, let me know and I'll post something as soon as possible.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby 24c » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Wow Jean, that's a pretty comprehensive reply!
Contrary to what I said before I think this might go on a Panhard development engine...I know it's too good for that
Just looking at A1-3 reading 0-5V, I'm wondering whether these could "read" a fuel pressure sensor and output a PWM signal on OUT1-6 to control a fuel pump, and then there's logging EGT too, but might go down the 14point7 route for that.

Thanks for the reply
Mike
PS Might be using the SLC-OEM boards as well, at $40 CAD each, they are a bargain.
24c

Postby jbelanger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Mike,

The MiniIOx current code does not have any generic PWM output nor does the MS2/Extra code. However, I could port the latest IOx code to the MiniIOx which would give you a way to control a PWM output from an ADC input. Having said that, this would be an open loop output so I'm not sure at all that this would be sufficient to control a fuel pump and get a consistent fuel pressure.

As for the EGT, you would need to add some amplifier circuit unless you use probes with a built-in amplifier.

Don't forget that the SLC-OEM do need some sort of carrier board and power supply. And to connect to the Mega4, you'd need to add an I2C bus extender chip (P82B715P).

Jean
jbelanger

Postby JoseMiguel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:07 pm

This is EXACTLY the product I have been waiting for... something for the 4 cylinder crowd that consider the MS3Pro a bit too overkill

I am not seeing price or avaliability on this product, or a finished picture whatsoever. Depending on the price, this can be a complete hit in my country. A fully featured, ready to go MS2 with no printer port and every output ready for use, and with a dedicated cam input so we can do sequential out of the box...

congrats on the product, please let me know pricing and everything else!
JoseMiguel

Postby jbelanger » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:36 pm

I have the needed components to build a couple of them. They are $600 plus shipping. This includes the ECU and the loom side connectors (shells and contacts); you need to make your own wiring loom by crimping the providing contacts on your own wires.

Jean
jbelanger

Previous

Return to New Boards