Ruggedized ECU

New boards that are planned or are in development

Re: Ruggedized ECU

Postby jbelanger » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:50 pm

I'll have to check my costs, obviously, but it should not be too expensive for what it is. And knock support is not very elaborate in the MS2/Extra code and it remains the same here with the need to use an external module. Having a good knock sensor unit is not trivial: it would add significant cost and would require quite a bit of development time.

And I agree that it would be good to have something MS3-based but it's not possible at this time and probably not before quite a while (an MS3 module is a possibility). And the MS2 (with MS2/Extra) is still a very good platform for a 4 cylinder engine (an even for 6 or 8 cylinder engines) with still some room for upgrades. And there is an advantage in cost and size with going with MS2 instead of MS3.

I should have pictures tomorrow.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:36 pm

It has taken a few days more but in the mean time I received my enclosure.

So here are a few pictures. The board is not fully assembled yet and the module is there just for trial fitting.

Board+module (the perspective of the picture is misleading: the module ends flush with the board and the module does not interfere with the connector pins):

Board+module+header:

Cinch ME enclosure (without header) in my hand to give an idea of the size of the enclosure:

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tmsmini » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks for the photos!
tmsmini

Postby 24c » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:33 am

Yee haa, that looks good, but I'm biased :D
Keep up the good work.

PS Like the idea of a knock sensor board, would be a nice tweak and good for developmental work (tuning the ignition map/fuelling etc) :)
PPS Here's hoping you've got small hands ;) :lol:
24c

Postby jbelanger » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Just a few more teasers. The board is completely assembled and the bootloader is loaded on the mini IOx CPU on the board. I need to make a bench test setup and some wiring.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tpsretard » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:59 pm

Think i just drooled over my keyboard.

You have specs to what inputs and outputs this has.
tpsretard

Postby jbelanger » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:09 pm

tpsretard wrote:Think i just drooled over my keyboard.

You have specs to what inputs and outputs this has.

In my post from August 12 on the first page of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=776#p3503.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tmsmini » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Which harness connector will this use, it appears there are two for the 48 pin SE version?
tmsmini

Postby tpsretard » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Got the list, I am liking this a lot.

This with one of you can adapter boards :D

Now if baulder will add his ALS code to the almost fixed 3.1.3a i think i will have a viable option for my budget rally and race cars.

to the harness ends come with this or is that a separate charge
tpsretard

Postby jbelanger » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:28 pm

These are the Cinch connectors: there's one 18-pin and one 30-pin connector. There's more information here: http://www.cinch.com/products/transport ... -enclosure.

I will be providing the connectors and contacts but you'll need to provide the wires, crimp the contacts and insert them in the connector. I'll probably also include a few plugs so if you don't want to use some pins and don't care to wire them, you can still have a waterproof setup and you can wire them at a later time.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tmsmini » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:44 pm

How many are sold out of the first batch? I am in line for one but am tempted to buy two as I still have not assembled my kit yet.
Terry
tmsmini

Postby jbelanger » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 pm

I've had interest from enough people to sell the initial batch but that may not mean that they are actually going to buy one right now. So I'll have to come back to you on that one.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tmsmini » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:46 pm

No problem, just tell me when to send money.

Terry
tmsmini

Postby jbelanger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:14 am

I just found out that I need to redesign the power supply. Under normal circumstances the current supply is fine but if there is more load on the Vref output, it becomes a bit marginal. So I'd rather make the change instead of telling people to strictly limit what they connect to Vref. There will still be a limit, obviously, but there will be some margin.

So this will delay the release by a few weeks. I need to do the new circuit and have boards made. Then I'll need to test the design but that part should be quite fast because the only change will be the power supply.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tmsmini » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks for the update
terry
tmsmini

Postby 24c » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:48 pm

jbelanger wrote:... Under normal circumstances the current supply is fine but if there is more load on the Vref output, it becomes a bit marginal...

Was this the reason you were having issues with the OPTO stuff and your MAX 9926 chip with the Module board?
24c

Postby jbelanger » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:38 pm

No, that's a different issue. As I said, the power supply is fine under normal operation. The issue with the opto input is that the circuit won't work with a fast signal due to the filtering and it will be compounded by using a 5V input signal (as done when using the MAX9926) since the optocoupler won't be fully saturated.

So if you use low RPM and/or a wheel with few teeth, it will work in the sense you will be getting an RPM signal. However, there will be a phase delay due to the filtering and the optocoupler response no matter which edge you use. And if you increase RPM and/or the number of teeth, you will lose the signal completely.

So the only solution is to bypass all the module tach input circuits.

As for the power issue, it's only when I connect a significant external load to the Vref output that I start seeing problems.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:12 pm

I got the new boards today. In the next few days, I will assemble one and test it. If everything checks out as it should, I will be able to start making the first batch next week.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:20 pm

A quick update on this. The initial tests went very well and the power supply issue is solved. And there will be a very healthy margin for powering external sensors from the 5V Vref: 200 to 300 mA will not be an issue and that's being conservative. As a point of reference, the Microsquirt documentation used to recommend keeping the draw on its Vref to 25mA or less (I can't find it in the new documentation).

I still need to make a few tweaks to the minIOx firmware and do some more tests. But I am ready to assemble the first batch. So if you are interested in one, just mention it here. I will contact those who have expressed their interest but it would be good to have a confirmation here. I will give a firm price in the next few days but it will be in the $550 to $600 range. That's for the complete ECU: assembled board, Microsquirt module, enclosure. It also includes the wiring loom connector shell and contacts but not the wiring itself: you will need to provide the wiring, crimp the contacts to the wires and insert the contacts in the connector shell.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tmsmini » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:09 pm

I am still interested in two. I know I only idicated one originally, but if any one doesn't follow through let me know.
I want to have two identical setups, one on the road and one for testing.
Terry
tmsmini

PreviousNext

Return to New Boards