IOx Basic a.k.a. IOx-OEM

New boards that are planned or are in development

Re: IOx Basic a.k.a. IOx-OEM

Postby Arttu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26 am

Thanks for the info.

So I will route the port 2 out of the board. Maybe I will add a jumper option to change it to port 1 for debugging purposes.

jbelanger wrote:All the channels from timer 1 and 2 can be used for PWM outputs. So that allow up to 8 of them.

Nice! I assume all of them can be used also as on/off style outputs? In that case I will change all high current outputs to these pins so they can be used as PWM or on/off outputs as needed.

the I2C bus 1 (SDA1, SLC1) is used for the RTC, The I2C bus 2 is used for the SLC-OEMs.

Could you tell more about the RTC, what chip it uses? It might be a nice addition.
Arttu

Postby jbelanger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:30 am

Most I/Os can be configured as on/off outputs and all the PWM outputs can.The RTC chip I use is the M41T11M6F from STM but there are others from different manufacturers that are compatible.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jsmcortina » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:42 pm

Is there a webpage or manual that shows exactly where to apply 5V and 0V to this board ? (I'm sure I had it in an email somewhere, but...)

After my foul-up with the first one, I'm wary to break a second.

I wanted to try out CAN passthrough to it.

James
jsmcortina

Postby jbelanger » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:52 pm

Documentation is quite lacking, I have to admit.

You need to apply 5V to both VDDA and VREFH and ground to both VSSA and VREFL (actually, VDDA is also connected to VDD on the board and the same applies to VSSA and VSS). You can refer to the JP5 picture below. The headers are also the same as the full IOx and are shown at the bottom of the page here: http://www.jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html

If you do have a separate 5V reference supply (Vref), then you would feed it to VREFH instead of the power supply 5V. The same ground would still be connected to VREFL unless you have a dedicated sensor return ground.

Failure to connect VREFH and VREFL can lead to a CPU failure. That's why the latest board revision has solder jumpers that set the connection to 5V and ground by default (similar to what is on the IOx).

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jsmcortina » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Like this ?
iox-basic-power.png
IOx power ?
iox-basic-power.png (16.33 KiB) Viewed 4198 times

James
jsmcortina

Postby jbelanger » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Exactly.
jbelanger

Postby Rod S » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:53 pm

jbelanger wrote: That's why the latest board revision has solder jumpers that set the connection to 5V and ground by default (similar to what is on the IOx).

Jean,

I presume my board is early enough to NOT have this revision ?

I have my VRef and VDD seperate (for what I believe are good reasons) but my IOx-OEM is in a box I don't really want to open (yet again) to look to see if I have these jumpers.

Rod.
Rod S

Postby jbelanger » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Rod,

Your board is the original version without the jumpers. You would see them on the bottom of the board just below my logo and the picture in your post from November 15, 2011 in this thread shows they are not there. They are only on the boards bought in 2014.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jsmcortina » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:20 pm

I got it working without any 12V oopsies this time.

James
jsmcortina

Previous

Return to New Boards