IOx Basic a.k.a. IOx-OEM

New boards that are planned or are in development

IOx Basic a.k.a. IOx-OEM

Postby jbelanger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:55 am

Following requests from a few people, I have come up with a very basic very of the IOx board that basically has the CPU and CAN transceiver together with the same headers as on the regular IOx board and 4 mounting holes. This will be useful for those making their own boards for a Microsquirt module or for integrating with an MS2 or MS3 setup in a single box.

As mentioned, the headers are the exact same as the ones used on the IOx board (see the pinout at the bottom of the page http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html) and they give access to all the ports on the CPU: ADCs, timers, digital I/Os, SCI, SPI, I2C. Note that the board requires a 5V supply and a 5Vref supply. And since this is the same CPU, it uses the same code with the same features (current and upcoming) as the standard IOx. And it can also interface with the logger board or the SLC carrier board since the headers are the same (the logger board will need a 12V supply).

The board layout can be seen below. You can see the headers, the new CAN header on the left besides JP4 and the the CAN transceiver at the top. There is also a DIP switch to enable/disable the CAN terminating resistor depending on how your CAN bus is used. Note that all the headers are on a 0.1"x0.1" grid (and so are the mounting holes) so it makes this easy to use for prototyping.

I should have a small initial batch available in a few weeks. The target price is around $75.

Jean
jbelanger

Re: IOx Basic

Postby Rod S » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Jean,

As you already know, I'm down for one of the first batch.

For anyone else, what appeals to me about this is, like the 14point7 SLC modules, it's ideal for DIY.

And because it's small it can be made to plug into a home designed PCB, or even a bit of veroboard, with all the other bits that are specific to your own build, at very little cost.

Rod.
Rod S

Re: IOx Basic

Postby dontz125 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Hey! What happened to "IOx-OEM"? :lol: :D
dontz125

Re: IOx Basic a.k.a. IOx-OEM

Postby jbelanger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:31 pm

dontz125 wrote:Hey! What happened to "IOx-OEM"? :lol: :D

Yeah, I changed my mind :)

It is a good name and would go along with the same idea as the SLC-OEM but I thought it seemed a bit presumptuous to talk about OEMs. Unless you and Rod (and others) feel like they should be considered OEMs. As much as I'd like to have a volume on this that could be considered OEM, I don't think it's going to happen.

Jean

p.s.: Let's just call it the IOx Basic a.k.a. IOx-OEM
jbelanger

Postby Rod S » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:48 am

I like the new title.

It does make a good comparison to the SLC modules, ie, you are going to have to design/make your own bits to plug/solder this to.

Which is just what I want :D
Rod S

Postby dontz125 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 am

Would you be able to provide Eagle .lbr files, or a well-detailed drawing with co-ordinates?

If you don't use Eagle, if you can provide the drawing I'm quite willing to make up the .lbr files and send them back to you, for the amusement and edification of others.

Or do you want to wait on the test batch first?
dontz125

Postby Rod S » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:46 am

Hi Dontz125,

I just used Jean's drawing as he said it's all on 1/10" grid, so quite easy to see where the pads should be on a basic 1/10" grid.

I've done mine already in KiCad (a bit crude compared to Eagle but it works :D ) Both ways up in this screenshot.

Jean has already seen this and pointed out to me that the BDM header (and possibly the bootload jumper) aren't actually required but otherwise I have apparently got it right :mrgreen:

Rod.
Rod S

Postby dontz125 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks, Rod. I assume 4-40 mounting screws?
dontz125

Postby Rod S » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:09 am

dontz125 wrote:Thanks, Rod. I assume 4-40 mounting screws?

Not sure, I'll let Jean answer that one - I just put in 3mm as we're metric over here :D
Rod S

Postby jbelanger » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 am

Yes, 4-40 mounting screws and 3mm will work. The holes are 3.2mm which is just over 1/8".

The lower left mounting hole is at (0.15",0.15") with respect to the corner of the board (and this aligns with JP4 and JP5 external row) and the top right mounting hole is at (1.75",1.75"). So the outline of the board is not on the 0.1" grid but that should be immaterial. The board is 50mmx50mm (sorry for the mix of units but that makes it easier and cheaper to order) so you can have an idea of the surface covered.

As Rod mentioned, the BDM header is only need when I load the bootloader code or if someone were to load their own to replace mine. The 'BOOT' header may or may not be needed. The extra pin is simply a ground so in the event the jumperless code upgrade doesn't work, you can simply put a shunt between the 2 pins to start the bootloader at power up. You could also use a jumper wire from the PTF7 pin (the one beside the additional ground) to another ground to do the same thing. So it's up to you if you think you need it. You could also route PTF7 to somewhere on your board and put a switch to ground.

Jean

p.s. If you make Eagle .lbr files for this, I can have a look at it to see if anything needs corrected.
jbelanger

Postby dontz125 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi, Jean.

Here's the revised files. I've corrected the CAN pin orientation, and took a look at using the pinheader.lbr files - at this point, I'd be restarting from scratch, so ... Nah. I left the boot pin in place; it may not be needed, but I don't see a real reason to take it out.

The pad size I used was 1.6 / 0.8mm, or 0.0315" drill size. You mentioned in your email that the pinheader files used 0.040" drills, or 1mm. This could be a non-trivial consideration, depending on the header pins used. The Harwin breakaway header pins I found on Mouser are 0.64mm square, or 0.025". Which drill size would you recommend?

As for the pin labels, I thought - very briefly - about including the entire tag, but considering you're more likely to be selecting pins with the IOx data sheet in front of you than the Eagle layout, I thought the basic description made more sense.
Last edited by dontz125 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dontz125

Postby jbelanger » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:24 pm

Don,

I use Sullins breakaway header pins from Digiker and they also are 0.025" square. Their spec sheet calls for a 0.04" PCB hole. I use the pinhead.lbr library (or copies from it) for my boards and there is some play but nothing excessive. Don't forget that 0.025" square is the equivalent of a radius sqrt(2) times bigger or about 0.0354" in this case. So 0.04" sounds like a better idea.

As for the boot pin, the reason I would remove it is that if you don't need it, you won't want a pad taking board real estate on 2 sides of the board. That makes routing and layout easier. If it's in there, you can't remove it while if you need it, it's easy to add it using a 1x1 pin header (from the pinhead library) connected to ground. You can still add the label just to make it easy to locate it. But that's a personal preference.

Speaking of board real estate on 2 sides of the board, I'm wondering if you won't be better off looking at using surface mount headers in your project in order to keep the under side of your board as empty as possible. Also, you may want to consider using only a subset of the available pins. Of course, that depends on how you were planning on integrating everything together.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby dontz125 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Don't forget that 0.025" square is the equivalent of a radius sqrt(2) times bigger or about 0.0354" in this case.

Y'know, I'm usually better at math than that... :oops: Ok, pinholes bumped to 1mm, Boot pin deleted.

As for populating the headers - yeah, I only planned to include the pins actually in play. Surface mount header pins - a point to ponder...
Attachments
IOx-Basic-OEM.lbr
(7.98 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
dontz125

Postby jbelanger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:35 pm

I have the first batch of boards. I have assembled the first unit and everything seems to be working as expected. Here are a few pictures:

Top:

Bottom:

Assembled board (with nylon mounting screws and nuts):

Detail of what the header looks like besides the crystal:

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Rod S » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Looks good Jean,

I've emailed you about purchasing one once you're ready.

One question - how tall is that header socket (and its matching pin connector) - it looks a lot shallower than the ones I can get in the UK.

Can you add a side-on photo please.

Rod.
Rod S

Postby dontz125 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Are the boards going to come with the header sockets, or can we order them without?

Looks good - put me down for two.
dontz125

Postby jbelanger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:09 pm

I think that it's an illusion from the angle of the shot. I can take a photo tomorrow but it's 8.5mm tall.

This is the actual part I'm using: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... e=S7109-ND. And the matching pin header I use is this one: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 011E-36-ND. Or if I want to connect on both sides of the board, I use this one: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 021E-36-ND.

And the plan was to sell the assembled board without any sort of header or mounting hardware since it's likely to be different for every setup. It was just to show that there is enough clearance.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 pm

Actually, this picture might give a better idea and it's the same part:

And I'll contact both of you by email for details.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Rod S » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 am

jbelanger wrote:I think that it's an illusion from the angle of the shot. I can take a photo tomorrow but it's 8.5mm tall.

Jean,

No need for the additional photo - 8.5mm and the drawing on the Digikey datasheet says they are the same dimensions as the ones we get over here.

Rod.
Rod S

Postby Rod S » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:01 am

Jean,

An annoying techical question....

You point out in the first post "Note that the board requires a 5V supply and a 5Vref supply".

On your pinout diagrams you have VREFH/VREFL and VDDA/VSSA on JP5 but you don't have VDD/VSS marked up.

Looking at the MC9S08DZ128 datasheet, specifically pages 28, 31, 32 it shows five power points on the actual chip and recommends decoupling capacitors immediately next to the CPU at all locations - presumably these are C1,2,3,4,5 on your board.

But the recommended power supply (page 31) commons all of them up before the decoupling capacitors, so no difference between VDD,VDDA,VREFH etc.... just a single smoothing capacitor before them all.

Presumably, as you have seperated VREF and VDD on your connections, you have segregated the analogue and digital supplies on your full size IOx board - I know they do this on the MSV3.0 motherboard design.

So, basically, do you have any recommendations on how to supply VDDA and VREFH seperately - I can't see how you do it on the full size board even with my double MaGoo glasses on......

Finally, would you recommend a completely seperate 5V supply for this board or will the Vsyn and Vref supplies of the "normal" MS2 mainboard suffice.

Rod.
Rod S

Next

Return to New Boards