Port scanner

Main site: http://jbperf.com/index.html

Port scanner

Postby jbelanger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:46 pm

I have made a small application that reads all the serial ports on the computer to see if there is any MS-compatible device connected to them. If the device connected is an MS2 or MS3 (any variant) then the CAN bus is also scanned to list all the devices connected to the CAN bus. The application only checks the serial ports at 115200 baud so an MS1 will not be listed; this limitation is due to the fact that this is used mostly to scan the CAN bus and all the MS-compatible devices that are CAN bus enabled use a serial port at 115200 baud (as far as I know).

The application runs on Windows only at this time (I just started using this development kit and I can run the application on Linux but making it distributable to other computers without having to install the whole SDK is turning out to be an annoyingly frustrating experience). You simply need to download this (18Mb download) and double click on port_scanner.exe and click on the "Scan ports" button (note that it may take a few seconds before it displays anything; the example below takes more than a few seconds).

This is what you will see:

This is an example done on my computer with an extreme example of what you could see after clicking on the "Scan ports" button and waiting for the result:

I extended the window to show all the ports and devices scanned (but you can simply scroll through the results if you prefer):

If you hover the mouse over a port or a device, that item name becomes italic and you get the information about the port or the device firmware whether the device is connected to a serial port of a CAN bus. You can see below (note that the mouse cursor is not visible in those screenshots but you can see what is selected because the text is in italic):
  • a port with a USB to serial adapter with an FTDI chipset
  • an MS3 with the pre1.3 alpha 9 firmware (the full definition does appear but is cut here since it falls outside the captured window)
  • an IOx with the V0.1.1 firmware (the full definition does appear but is cut here since it falls outside the captured window)

ImageImageImage

If an MS-compatible device is connected to either a serial port or a CAN bus but cannot be identified by the application, you will get "Unknown device" as the name but you will still get the firmware identification if the device can provide it. This assumes that the devices use the same standards as all the MS2/Extra and MS3 firmware versions (all of my devices respect those standards).

This will eventually be expanded to include the downloader and other utilities. So you will no longer need to select a downloader version depending on which IOx variant you have, which device it is connected to or if it is connected to a serial port or a CAN bus. You will also be able to change the CAN ID and set the RTC time from this upcoming version.

Jean

Edited to link to the latest version (1.3) 2017/07/02. If updating from a previous version, you only need to update the exe files.
jbelanger

Re: Port scanner

Postby jbelanger » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:27 pm

There is finally a new version of the port scanner which adds some functionality that will make upgrading the firmware and changing the CAN ID much easier.

When you run this new version and scan the ports, this is what you will get:

For all the IOx related devices and the DIYAutotune CAN-EGT, you will get a button besides the scanned device name. If you press this button, you will get a drop down menu with a couple of options:

This will allow you to either upgrade the firmware on the device or change the CAN ID. If you select the change CAN ID option, you will be asked to provide the new CAN ID:

You will be asked to confirm and if you confirm, the CAN ID will be changed and you will get a message that the CAN ID has been changed successfully. You will then need to scan the ports to update the display with the new CAN ID.

If you select the firmware upgrade option, this will open a standard Windows file browser that will show you the s19 files. Just go to the directory where the s19 file for the new firmware is located and select it. You will be asked to confirm the upgrade and you will then get a progress bar of the process:

Once the update is finished, you will get a message:

The new port scanner, with all the needed files, is available here (18 MB download). If you already have a version of the port scanner that you want to update, you can download this; you will then need to put the 4 exe files in your port scanner directory.

This new version has been tested on my setup so there might be some issues that I have not encountered. If you see some bad or strange behaviour, please let me know. Also note that the example above is not typical because I'm using 2 passthrough devices and have the DIYAutotune CAN-EGT connected on both the CAN bus and through the USB port. But it still works in that configuration.

Jean

EDIT: I updated the code to better deal with COM ports with a longer latency (such as a Bluetooth device). If you already downloaded the v1.0 or v1.1 version, please download the executables to update to the v1.2 version. Use the updated links above.

Edited to link to the latest version (1.3) 2017/07/02
jbelanger

Postby superdavemotorsports » Sat May 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Could you add a link to the latest IOx firmware ..
Are you supporting the DIYAutotune CAN-EGT box? Maybe a link to that firmware as well .. if you are supporting that. If not when I find that info I will add a link.
superdavemotorsports

Postby superdavemotorsports » Sat May 13, 2017 3:35 pm

superdavemotorsports wrote:Could you add a link to the latest IOx firmware ..
Are you supporting the DIYAutotune CAN-EGT box? Maybe a link to that firmware as well .. if you are supporting that. If not when I find that info I will add a link.

Found your firmware .. Still looking for CAN-EGT

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/firmware/
superdavemotorsports

Postby jbelanger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:10 pm

I know this was posted quite a while ago but while I can do the support by answering most questions on the DIYAutotune CAN-EGT, for specifics like the ini file and the firmware file you need to contact DIYA directly.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to General