TinyIOx - Lag Factors and Setting up oil transducer

Main site: http://jbperf.com/index.html
roger

TinyIOx - Lag Factors and Setting up oil transducer

Post by roger » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:32 pm

One question regarding the Lag Factor setting in your TinyOSx under the ADC Activation.
Does this lag factor work in the same manner as in the MS2 Extra under the General Sensor Settings where 100% has no smoothing and 10% has a high degree of smoothing. I’m wondering if this setting would also help to get rid of the gas tank reading fluctuations together with the hardware circuit filter that you recommended.

One other question.
With the TinyIOx, I want to add an oil pressure transducer (0-5 volts).
What components on are required on the proto area to support that option.
I also want to set it up so that if the oil pressure drops to say 20 psi, that MS2 shuts off the fuel supply to prevent engine damage.
I am thinking that the sender signal line would be connected AD1 and how would I setup the Programmable On/Off Outputs for turn off the EFI fuel pump?

jbelanger

Re: TinyIOx - Lag Factors and Setting up oil transducer

Post by jbelanger » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:47 pm

Yes that's the same type of lag factor and it would provide some smoothing. However, there are some artifact from the computation which are more pronounced when a lot of smoothing is done where the actual value is never reached if the input remains constant. It will work ok when the value read goes above and below the constant average value. So you need to be careful how you use it.

The conditioning circuit for an oil pressure sensor is very similar to the one I gave you for the fuel sender:
conditioner.png
Conditioner circuit for fuel sender and LED driver
conditioner.png (8.23 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
For a pressure sensor, don't use R2, use 1k for R1, 0.1uF for C1 and 1nF for C2. Of course, you will connect that to AD1 and to the pressure sensor.

And there is no direct way in the MS2 to turn off the fuel pump with a low oil pressure condition. You could use an additional relay that is activated with a programmable on/off output but then the issue is to activate it when you start the engine. You could also use table switching with one table full of 0 which is activated by a condition but again you have the issue of starting the engine. You could check if the cranking status is on but I don't know if there are certain conditions where that would create some unwanted side effects.

Jean

roger

Re: TinyIOx - Lag Factors and Setting up oil transducer

Post by roger » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:32 pm

Okay, that's great information to have on hand for my future project.
As always, your input on this stuff is very appreciated and greatly valued.