Help CAN-EGT Firmware Update

Main site: http://jbperf.com/index.html
Fonsholt

Help CAN-EGT Firmware Update

Post by Fonsholt » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:06 am

Hi.
I have a CAN EGT fresh out of the box and wanted to connect it to Tunersrudio. I loaded it up and found the INI file from DIY. But the INI file Dit not match the firmware in the egt box. Can EGT Box id 0.1.3 and the INI file is 0.1.4.
Therefore I would update the firmware to match the INI file.
I have tried on windows 10 and XP. there is power on the device. The power is not thrue the jack connector.
I have tried with the V+ and GND Switches On and Off.
I have tried changing the com ports. 2. 5 and 8 and ofcourse the bat file match the com port the can egt was connected to.
Every time with the same resault.
In the end of the lines when i run the ioxloader bat file it says Unrecognized device.
How can i update the firmware?

The Board is a CAN-EGT+ V1.2
Firmware in the CAN EGT is CAN-EGT+ Alpha V0.1.3 20180330

Hope you can help me.

Best regards
Martin Fonsholt

jbelanger

Re: Help CAN-EGT Firmware Update

Post by jbelanger » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:20 am

Please run the port scanner and post a screen capture of what you get when you press the 'scan ports' button.

Jean

Fonsholt

Post by Fonsholt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:30 am

I was able to find the Can-EGT and update it with Port Scanner.
Now my problem is that it keeps going online. Offline. Online. Offline and so on.
Port Scanner.JPG
Port Scanner.JPG (18.04 KiB) Viewed 2911 times

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:34 pm

Do you have the DIYAutotune CAN-EGT or my version? And which firmware did you use for the upgrade? Also, please post your TunerStudio project.

Jean

Fonsholt

Post by Fonsholt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:49 pm

I have the one from DIYAutotune.
I have tried the 0.0.1 Firmware from DIYAutotune and the 0.1.4 from ampefi.
Both do the same.
TEST Board EGT_2020-04-05_18.48.06.tsproj
(259.54 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Martin

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:55 pm

There is a bug with the old firmware when using the serial port. You need to use the v0.1.5 firmware. Your project is fine otherwise.

Jean

EDIT: Please send a message to DIYAutotune / AMPEFI so that they update their web site. I have already sent them this update a while ago.
Attachments
can_egt.ini
v0.1.5 ini file
(25.14 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
can_egt.s19
Firmware v0.1.5 s19 file
(21.25 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:08 pm

One more thing. When did you purchase this unit? From what you say, it came with the v0.1.3 firmware installed. But you had the v0.1.4 ini file?

This looks wrong and it should have had the v0.1.5 firmware and ini. I'm not saying that you did something wrong but that the unit was not set with the latest fully functional firmware and ini file. And that should have been the case since September or October 2019 at the latest.

By the way, the older firmware was working with older versions of TunerStudio but something was changed and now requires the latest firmware when using the USB port. The old (and new) firmware works when using the CAN bus.

Jean

Fonsholt

Post by Fonsholt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Thanks.
I have just updated it and it is still doing the same.
Sometimes when it is online it shows protocol error.
Can EGT Error.JPG
Can EGT Error.JPG (24.37 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
TEST Board EGT_2020-04-05_22.11.20.tsproj
(256.81 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Martin

Fonsholt

Post by Fonsholt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:19 pm

My unit is from June 29, 2019.
Had it connected for the first time on the March 2. 2020
And it came with the v0.1.3 firmware installed.
I have ben unable to update it with the tool on the DIYAutotune webside.
I will try to connect it to the canbus.

Martin

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:33 pm

That explains why you don't have the v0.1.5 firmware but it's still strange to have the v0.1.3 firmware.

You do get a different error from what you had before. I don't have any issues here on my setup using your project so I can only assume that it is coming from your serial comm connection. One thing you can try is to go in the device manager and go to the properties on COM2. If you go to the port settings tab and click on Advanced, you can change the latency timer from the default 16 to 1. That may help.

If you cannot get it to communicate with the USB port, you will need to create a debug log from TunerStudio.

And when you try using the CAN bus (through an MS2 or MS3), don't forget to change the project properties to deactivate the serial property. And use the port scanner to verify that you have a go connection: you will see the serial port with the MS2/MS3 and then the CAN-EGT on CAN Id 1

Jean

Fonsholt

Post by Fonsholt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:29 pm

The Error window i didn't get yesterday. it started after an update to 0.1.4 today.
Before i was unable to change anything over the canbus and got an error of timeout I think.
Now i can stay connected over the canbus and make changes. The usb is still the same.
Change the latency timer dit not help.
I couldn't get a usb connection but i made a debug log from TunerStudio i it can help. can you use one when i am connected over canbus?
I also tried on a nother laptop but no change. and again with another usb cable.
TunerStudioDebugPackage.zip
(414.46 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Martin

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:38 pm

I checked the debug log and it says it's trying to use CAN Id 2 which is not the default value. Have you changed this? If you have, you need to go in the project properties and go to the CAN device tab and make sure that the main controller CAN ID is set to the correct value and click ok. If you have not changed the CAN ID, you still need to go to the project properties and make sure the CAN ID is set to 1 and click ok.

To check what the CAN ID of your CAN EGT is, you can use the port scanner with the CAN EGT connected through an MS over the CAN bus. With only the CAN EGT connected to the PC through the USB port, you won't see it on the port scanner so you need to use the mini terminal on TunerStudio. Close any project and open the mini terminal. Open COM2 (or whatever COM port you're currently using) at 115200 baud. Click the decimal box at the top of the window and type 'I' (capital i). You should see in the lower half of the windows the CAN Id response from the CAN EGT and it should be 1 by default. If not, that's the CAN ID number you need to use.

Jean

Fonsholt

Post by Fonsholt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Thanks for the quick and good support.
I change the Can ID this morning du to a problem with 2 devices with the same ID. Since then i have firmware updated it to 0.1.4 and then 0.1.5.
I change it back and it works with firmware 0.1.5
And once again Thanks.

Martin

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:14 pm

Good to see you got it working.

TunerStudio is a bit more finicky with CAN Id changes than it was before. You really need to go to the project properties when you change the CAN ID to make sure that it will use the correct one.

Jean

MS2tester

Post by MS2tester » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:40 pm

was having the same issue
not reading the LC1 serial stream
working on my test ecu
need to update the can egt firmware 1.4 of the data ecu
Attachments
MS3_CAN_EGT_LC1_serial_stream.jpg
MS3_CAN_EGT_LC1_serial_stream.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1605 times
MS3_CAN_EGT_LC1_serial_heating.jpg
MS3_CAN_EGT_LC1_serial_heating.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 1605 times

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Have you tried updating the firmware I posted in my previous post? That's the v0.1.5 firmware which is the latest and has the serial port bug fix. And that is for the DIYAutotune CAN-EGT.

Your post is not clear what you have tried and what your actual setup is. The pictures don't give any information. So give more details about your setup and what your problem is. And post your msq and a short dataglog.

Jean

MS2tester

Post by MS2tester » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:01 am

the MS3 on the pc is the test log chain
that works now the CAN-EGT had older firmware that updated without any problem to 0.1.5
the MS3 on the right has a CAN-EGT integrated in the housing the software was updated to 0.1.4 from the amp-efi site
unfortunately when i try to use port-checker version 1.4 to update this gives a firmware error message 1
i probably have to use the can-egt bootstrap method to get the newer version into this CAN-EGT
i hope to do that tonight as i have to disassemble the casing
Attachments
MS3_can-egt_overview.jpg
MS3_can-egt_overview.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1567 times

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:59 am

Do you mean the port scanner 1.4 or the port checker? You should not have to use the bootloader header for updating the firmware because the issue is only when TunerStudio reads the datalog over the serial port. The port scanner does not do that so it should just work.

But if you cannot get the port scanner to work then using the bootloader should solve your issue. If not, post what steps you did and exactly what error message you got from the port scanner (screen capture would be good for this).

Jean

MS2tester

Post by MS2tester » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:10 pm

i had trouble with port scanner to update the software
finally it ran an update cycle after cycling power a couple of times and sticking the USB cable to a different port
don,t know which one solved the issue but it works now
i have a screenshot of the check i made in tunerstudio to see if the can egt would show up in the project properties
after a i failed to update the software with port scanner
Attachments
MS3_can_egt_succes.jpg
MS3_can_egt_succes.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1552 times
can_egt_error_small.png
can_egt_error_small.png (274.54 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:24 pm

That's the signature you get when it is in bootloader mode and not in normal running mode. TunerStudio does not know what to do with it and the CAN-EGT will only be ready to update the firmware in that mode.

If you did not have the bootloader jumper in place when you saw this there is a problem. If the jumper was in place then it is all normal and simply needs the jumper removed. A partial failed update could leave the unit in bootloader mode; you would then need to do the update again until you get a successful and complete update.

Jean