peak and hold driver transistor insulation

http://jbperf.com/p&h_board/index.html

peak and hold driver transistor insulation

Postby racerron » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:04 pm

putting the small screws in for the transistors (4 per board) heat sinks and i was wondering if for some reason (maybe vibration) if the transistor grounds out on the case. what will happen? thinking of buying some plastic screws to hold them down like on the mega squirt has for its transistors.
racerron

Re: peak and hold driver transistor insulation

Postby jbelanger » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:42 pm

The shoulder washer are there to insulate the screws from the transistor tab. You need to be careful to align everything and not tighten the nut to much to avoid crushing the shoulder on the washer. If you short the tab to the case, the injector will be stuck open.

Using plastic screws is not a good idea because the transistors get quite hot which means the plastic screws will get loose which means more heat due to less contact with the case. That's a vicious circle that may lead to failure.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby racerron » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:49 pm

ok. thanks for replying so fast . you probably remember me calling you to buy just the electronics for your boards around 2 months ago. bownfloorco@yahoo.com
racerron

Postby jsdevel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 pm

My kit only came with 4 mica insulators. I ordered a 5th from digikey for the TIP24C, and found that my voltage was much more stable. I had the board mounted to my MS2 case which is grounded to the MS2.
jsdevel

Return to Peak&Hold Driver