P&H driver for motorsports

http://jbperf.com/p&h_board/index.html

P&H driver for motorsports

Postby juanikun » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Hello,

I'm planning to purchase the P&H driver for my MS3/MS3X setup which has failed injector driver after first test drift run at the track :cry:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1034
According to the post in the link, the injector driver keeps blowing for the user under high RPM, high load situation. My injectors are also low-z injectors(2.9 Ohms) lined up with resistors (6.8 Ohm, 25 Watt) since it was used with MS3X fuel injector output.

I will be drifting & road racing as well with my setup. I'm not too worried about drifting sessions, since they only last less than a minute for each run. But I'm little worried about road race sessions since each session lasts about 20 minutes and injector drivers exposed to high RPM/high load for long time causing overheat of the injector driver.

What can I do to keep the drivers cool other than adding heatsink and keeping the injector drivers away from the heat exposure?
juanikun

Re: P&H driver for motorsports

Postby jbelanger » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:29 pm

There's nothing much to do other than providing as much heat sink surface as possible. You have to make sure that the transistors have the best possible heat transfer by being in good contact with the heat sink (as flat as possible on the heat sink) and well tighten mounting hardware; also use a good thermal compound that is not electrically conductive and apply it on both sides of the mica insulator.

One thing that could be done is to use more than one squirt per cycle (or semi-sequential instead of sequential). That will result in shorter pulses which means that the drivers will spend a longer percentage of the time in the peak phase which generates a lot less heat. But that has other disadvantages so that may not be a practical solution.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby juanikun » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks for quick reply Jean.

I'm still in learning process, so please excuse me if my question doesn't make sense.

Will leaving the inline resistor in the circuit help lower the temperature of transistor since it will use less amperage due to higher resistance in the circuit?
juanikun

Postby jbelanger » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:45 pm

It would defeat the purpose of the peak&hold driver but that would lower the temperature. You could also try with a lower resistance value.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby juanikun » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks for the advice Jean.

I'm getting my MS3X card replaced under warranty. I'm also going to replace my inline resistors to higher resistance units (10 Ohms, 25 watt). But if the injector driver still fails on the replacement unit, I will be using your injector drivers to replace the MS3X drivers.

many people commented that your injector driver is more reliable than MS3X. As much as I want to utilize the peak & hold function, reliability is more of a concern to me. As long as I can have reliable injector drivers, I don't mind disregarding the function of Peak & Hold.

There's nothing worse than the car breaking down at the track within first hour :(

If I were to use resistor with lower resistance value with your driver, what resistance would you recommend?
juanikun

Postby jbelanger » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:03 pm

I would use a 1 or 2 Ohm resistance.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to Peak&Hold Driver