Help - no RPM

http://jbperf.com/JimStim/index.html

Help - no RPM

Postby hobieboy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:07 pm

Hi,
It had been a long time since I last use the JimStim; reinstalling the entire MS3 set up so am bench testing all the wiring again now, but now I don't get any RPM readings from JimStim.

I have the JimStim v1.5 board with v2.0.3 firmware. My MS3 is configured for full sequential (ignition & fuel) via dual wheel set up - 36-1 VR sensor + Hall sensor connected to CAM_In on MS3X.

When I power up JimStim, all the other pots work. The wheel decoder DIP switch is set per info page (switch #3 is ON, everything else OFF). But I don't get any RPM readings.

Appreciate any help!

Also... I read that I also need v2.0.4 to get 2nd trigger support? How do I connect the 2nd trigger output to CAM_In on MS3X to test this?

thanks!
hobieboy

Re: Help - no RPM

Postby jbelanger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:24 pm

You don't need v2.0.4 unless you have your MS3 configured for poll level on the second trigger (half moon can trigger). And you need to somehow connect the 2nd trigger pin on the JimStim to your MS3X DB37 connector; the best way is to use a JimStimX but you may be able to use a wire jumper.

Make sure your JimStim passes the troubleshooting tests: http://jbperf.com/JimStim/JimStim_v1_5_ ... ml#testing. And check if you see anything in the composite log. You may need to play with the trim pots on the MS board to get a stable tach signal.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby hobieboy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi Jean,
What pin from JimStim do I need to connect to the MS3X DB37? Is there any config (dip switch? jumper?) that I need to set to simulate Hall sensor output (or input to CAM_In)?

And thanks for the pointers to troubleshooting - JimStim was working last time I used it with my MS3 but that was before I enabled sequential. Right now, tooth and composite log does not register anything. Maybe I need to re-adjust the pots (R52/56) for JimStim? I'll hook up LED per the troubleshoot steps but hoping I can save a few steps :)

thanks!
hobieboy

Postby jbelanger » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:05 pm

There is a pin header for the 2nd trigger: http://jbperf.com/JimStim/JimStim_v2_0_ ... .html#tach. And you will want to use a jumper for either a 5V pull up or a 12V pull up if you don't have one on the MS3X.

As mentioned, you may need to adjust the pots.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby hobieboy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi Jean,
I did the LED test of the JimStim and it seems to check out - the LED blinks faster & brighter as I increase the RPM pots.
But when connected to the MS3 / MS3X, TS still does not register any RPM. The FP LED blinks on for a few seconds (priming the pump) then off.
TS is configured to use VR for primary and Hall sensor (via CAM_In on MS3X) as secondary trigger. I haven't connected the secondary trigger from JimStim to the MS3/MS3X, would this be the problem that MS does not see any RPM?

thanks!
hobieboy

Postby jbelanger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:59 pm

Check the composite log on the MS3. If you see a signal, you have some settings wrong and you need to fix them. If you don't get any signal in the composite log, you have a hardware issue on your MS board and you need to fix that. The first thing to do would be to make sure that the trim pots in the MS VR circuit (R52 and R56) are correctly set.

If you need more help on either the MS settings or diagnosing the MS hardware, you should post on the msextra forum.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to JimStim