Crank and Cam signals Synchronization

http://jbperf.com/JimStim/index.html

Crank and Cam signals Synchronization

Postby Dreammaker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:46 am

Hi Jean

I’m from Ukraine and my English is not so good. That’s why I didn’t find an answer for my questions on this forum and asking you to answer me directly.

I building a car with a line-6 engine. For this engine I would like to by an MS-3 with MS3X expansion board to provide full sequential ignition and injection. To do it I will install 36-1 or 60-2 crank wheel with VR sensor and VR sensor on a cam shaft which brings only 1 signal per 4 strokes.
The question is:
Is it possible to emulate with JimStim v1.4 36-1 or 60-2 crank wheel and 1 per 4 strokes cam shaft signals which are synchronized between each other?

Thanks in advance,

J.J.
Dreammaker

Re: Crank and Cam signals Synchronization

Postby jbelanger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:40 am

J.J.

I moved this to the JimStim section since this is more appropriate for the subject.

I'm not sure I understand but the 36-1 and 60-2 modes both have a cam signal which is a single pulse per cycle. And both the crank and cam signals are synchronized. You simply need to connect the 2nd trigger pin on the JimStim to the input pin for your cam signal. There is some more here: http://jbperf.com/JimStim/JimStim_v1_4_ ... .html#tach.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Dreammaker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:35 am

Jean,

Thank you for your answer! I think I understand now.

Only to be sure completely, the image below is actually what I get using the primary tach pin and 2nd trigger pin. Wright?

Of course, cam signal could be in other place of the duty cycle.

J.J.
Dreammaker

Postby jbelanger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:07 pm

This is correct except that you want the cam signal to be away from the missing tooth location by a few teeth. So in you graph, you'd want to have the cam signal anywhere between teeth 3 and 33 to make sure that there is no problem.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Dreammaker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Thank you Jean!
It’s all clear to me know )

Best wishes,
J.J.
Dreammaker

Postby ethanehunt » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:51 am

Great troubleshooting info - this is what I learned for the 99 Chrysler 3.2 (3.5 is similar):

If the engine won't start unless you disconnect the CAM sensor and crank it (about 4 revolutions) - suspect that the cam/crank timing is off. That means the timing belt has slipped. My belt slipped 2 teeth (very cold day and old belt) and although no damage was done, it would not re-start. But it would turn over, and the belt would move, BUT because it had slipped slightly - the ECM would not let it start. There is no engine code for this... you just gotta figure it out. There is no timing mark on the flywheel or damper, so TDC is hard to verify, and the cams can't be timed either unless you remove the cover.
ethanehunt

Return to JimStim