Dual VR V2.1

http://jbperf.com/dual_VR/index.html

Dual VR V2.1

Postby science » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:48 pm

I was just wondering when the dual VR conditioner 2.0 chips will be available again, as I was looking at getting several.

Thanks
science

Dual VR V2.1

Postby jbelanger » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:05 pm

I'm not sure when the V2.0 will be available again but I have a new version which is the V2.1. The web site is not ready yet but the board is available.

The V2.1 board still has the same circuit as the V2.0 but has a new form factor. It is smaller and the pads are placed such that they fit a DIP8 pattern. So you can use a DIP8 socket or solder it directly to a proto area or a perforated board. It still has the two mounting holes so you can still solder wires directly to the board.

It also now comes in two versions: the internal and the external versions. The internal version is for those who want to use it in the ECU case and it doesn't have the on-board voltage regulator and needs to be powered by a 5V source. The external version has an on-board voltage regulator and can therefore be powered by a 12V source from the car. However you still need to put it in some sort of enclosure to protect it from the environment.

This is what the board looks like:
Image.......Image.......Image

You can see the top of the board with the MAX9926 circuit and the current limiting resistors are now a bit bigger to withstand more voltage from the sensor (the ones on the V2.0 are sufficient in almost all cases but this is for more margin). The bottom has the optional voltage regulator and the labels indicate the pinout. The third picture shows the size relative to a Canadian quarter (same size as a US quarter).

The external version is the same price as the V2.0 ($45 plus shipping) but the new internal version is cheaper ($35 plus shipping).

For now you can contact me to buy them directly from me.

Jean
jbelanger

Re: Dual VR V2.1

Postby Rod S » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:12 am

Jean,

Excellent work, the 5V option especially as it is something you had to make me as a one-off in the past.

To help work out how this would lay over another board or proto-area, can you tell us the physical size and, looking at the second photo, what are the co-ordinates of the "out1" hole relative to the top left corner.

Rod.
Rod S

Postby jbelanger » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:31 am

Rod,

The board is 0.775"x0.775" (I know that's a strange value but it's the smallest size that could contain the mounting holes, DIP8 footprint and the other components). Taking the first picture as a reference, the lower mounting hole is located 0.125" from the bottom and right sides and the top mounting hole is located 0.125" from the top and left sides. The lower left pad VR2- is at (0.3",0.3") from the lower left corner and the lower right pad V+ is at (0.6",0.3") from the same corner.

That means that Out1 is located 0.175" from the top side and 0.175" from the left side in the second picture (it is located at (0.6,0.6) in the reference picture).

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Rod S » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Mine arrived today,

Sorry about the photo quality, old camera, wifey has my new one at the Olympics and the flash on this one reacts badly to the MS2 aluminium case....

Shown in plug/socket configuration in the proto area compared to the original version held in place with several double sided sticky pads and wires everywhere (replacement wires will be semi-rigid and underneath the main PCB).

(not yet soldered, just resting in place).

Really needs the turned pin connectors to plug it into a socket (like the ones on the underside of an MS2 daughterboard) rather than the usual square ones Jean sent but, TBH, I'll probably just solder it direct to the proto area with the square pin ones.

Clearance to the 4 channel board is tight in plug/socket arrangement (~1-2mm) so the VR board is deliberately upside down to put the ground plane of the PCB between the chip and the INJ drivers.

But overall, much better for an "in-case" installation than the 2.0.

You can also see how much of the V3.0 mainboard is totally wasted once you use Jean's 4 channel (or P&H) and this...... the 3.0/3.57 are long overdue for a decent replacement (especially if it was in metric 100mm instead of 4" to fit 99% of the alternative cases available) to discourage people from making their own.

(Edit - typos)
Rod S

Postby trboflyr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Hello there, I recieved the dual vr v2.1 and i'm trying to figure out how to install it on my ms3 board which I also have ms3x. I just finished putting together the ms3. I've been looking for a guide or instructions and have not found anything to help. I don't want to screw anything up so any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time....
trboflyr

Postby jbelanger » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Do you have a V3.0 main board or a 3.57 board (surface mount components)? Also, do you want to use the dual VR board for the crank and cam signal or for something else?

The general idea is to connect the VR sensor to VR+ and VR- and connect the Out pad to the MS CPU. And of course, you need to connect V+ and ground to power the dual VR board. So depending what you want to do exactly and which board you have, there are a few ways to do the connections.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby trboflyr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:33 pm

yes I have the v3.0 main board and I would like to use it for both crank and cam signal.
trboflyr

Postby jbelanger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:21 am

What you need to do for the crank signal is to bypass the circuit on the MS board. So you will connect VR1+ to TachSelect and Out1 to TSel. You will also need to use a spare pin on the DB37 connector for the other VR sensor wire and connect this to VR1-. For the cam signal, the easiest thing is to use 2 spare pins for both VR sensor wires and connect these to VR2+ and VR2-. Then connect Out 2 to JS10.

I assume you have the internal version of the dual VR board so you will want to connect V+ to a 5V pad on the proto area and GND to a ground pad on the proto area. You can also mount the dual VR board to the proto area.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby trboflyr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Awesome, thanks for your help. That's what I was looking for! I'll do it tonight when I get off of work.
trboflyr

Postby ttzankov » Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 am

Hello

can we still buy the Dual VR V2.1 board ? I cannot send you PM, thus I am posing this question in the forum. Please send me details on Payment including shipping to Germany.

Tzanimir
ttzankov

Postby jbelanger » Thu May 09, 2013 10:07 am

Tzanimir,

Yes the board is available. I'll send you a PM (you'll be able to use it now that your username has been activated).

Jean
jbelanger

Postby TerrenceLP » Sun May 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Hello, I'm interested in the v2.1 board for my upcoming projects and I'm looking for install and purchasing information on a v3.57 SMB MS3 set up.

As I understand it, your v2.1 DUAL VR board is a better setup similar to the MS3-pro. :D
TerrenceLP

Postby jbelanger » Mon May 20, 2013 10:58 am

Yes the circuit used on the dual VR V2.1 board is similar to the circuit used on the MS3Pro (and the latest Microsquirt).

To install it on a V3.57 MS3 setup, you will need to connect 5V and ground from the MS board to the dual VR board. You will need to bypass the on-board MS VR circuit by connecting pin 2 on JP1 to VR1+ on the dual VR board and pin 2, 4 or 6 on J1 (all connected together) to Out1 on the dual VR board. You will also need to connect VR1- on the dual VR board to one of the spare pins on the DB37 connector. And you will need to connect you VR sensor to the normal tach in pin on the DB37 (pin 24) and the spare pin you used.

If you want to use the second VR circuit, the easiest way is to connect Out2 to JS10 and VR2+ and VR2- to spare pins on the DB37 or DB15 connector. And connect you second VR sensor to those pins.

If you want to use the board with a Hall sensor (on either or both of the 2 inputs), you simply ignore the VR- connection (leave it unconnected from the dual VR board) and connect the Hall sensor signal to VR+. You will also need a pull up resistor on the signal if your sensor doesn't have one in it. You can use 5V or 12V for the pull up.

Finally, you will need to secure the board in some way. With the V3.57 board, there is no proto are or another place to attach the dual VR board so the best way is to drill holes in the case (top half or bottom half) and mount the board using the mounting holes in the board and the provided hardware.

I will send you a PM for details on ordering the board.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Jacobs280 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:21 am

I would like to order one of these please. Also i ask how to wire it to megasquirt 1 extra with v2.2 board. It is a vr sensor with 36-1 wheel. Would it work better mounted to my crank or camshaft do you know? Sorry for all of the questions.
Jacobs280

Postby jbelanger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:43 am

You can order the board here: http://www.jbperf.com/dual_VR/v2_1.html#Buy.

On the V.2. board, you will need to remove D5, C11 and R11. You will need to connect 5V and ground from the V2.2 board to the dual VR board (you can use pins 3 and 2, respectively, from U5). You will need to connect VR1+ to the non-banded side of D5 and VR1- to X11 (or any of the X12-14 that is free). And you will need to connect Out1 to the pad of R11 that is connected to pin 14 of the CPU. Finally, you will need to connect your VR sensor to pins 24 and 25 of the DB37.

And it is better to use the wheel on the crank because it will be more accurate than on the camshaft. However, if you need sequential ignition (COPs) then you either need to mount the 36-1 wheel on the camshaft or have it on the crank plus a second single tooth wheel on the camshaft. Look at the MS1 manual for more details and if you need more information, ask on the msextra forum.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Jacobs280 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:06 pm

When i connect from your board to the megasquirt board, would i have it set up in megasquirt for regular trigger?
Jacobs280

Postby jbelanger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Yes, the settings are the same.
jbelanger

Postby Jacobs280 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:57 pm

the same as if i was using a distributor sensor? Just put in the trigger offset?
Jacobs280

Postby jbelanger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 pm

The settings are the same as you would use without the board. What exact settings you use depends on the trigger setup you use and you need to look in the MS1 manual to see how to set them. I'm not familiar with the MS1 settings so you'll have to ask on the msextra forum if you can't find what you need in the manual.

Jean
jbelanger

Next

Return to Dual VR