Dual VR2.1 and Microsquirt 2.2 - 4AGE 24+1

http://jbperf.com/dual_VR/index.html

Dual VR2.1 and Microsquirt 2.2 - 4AGE 24+1

Postby suberimakuri » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:54 pm

So, have just tried a bunch of combinations trying to get RPM on this setup.
Saw the other thread.

4AGE dual vr distributor, 24 tooth NE, 1 tooth G sensor.

Tried:
1) VR1+- and VR2+- on Microsquirt inputs. Shared G- ground. Tooth logger shows teeth, which I think is NE wheel. Nothing on VR2, nothing in composite logger.

2) NE and G to VR1 and VR2 on DualVR board. LED on the VR outputs to ground flashes with each tooth.
Connect VR1Out to opto in, nothing in tooth logger. Tried adding 1K resistor to 5V TPSVRef as pullup, nothing in tooth logger.
Tried to opto -ve.

3) NE to Microsquirt input VR1+-. Nothing in tooth logger.
G via DualVR board, VR2Out to VR2+ or VR2-. Nothing in tooth logger.

4) Tried different distributor with 24 teeth, 2 cut... so like 12-1 crank. Connected to uS VR+-, signal when spin by hand but not by crank.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Totally stumped, going to have to go back to customer.
suberimakuri

Re: Dual VR2.1 and Microsquirt 2.2 - 4AGE 24+1

Postby jbelanger » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:23 pm

You say that you get a signal on the dual VR board output with a LED but not with the output connected to opto in (I assume that's opto in+). Did you ground opto in-? That is needed to close the circuit. You still might need the 1k pull up.

And I don't know what you mean in 3) by VR2Out to VR2+ or VR2-. There is only a VR2IN+ on the Microsquirt. You might also need a 1k pull up but that would be surprising.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby suberimakuri » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Thank you for rapid reply.
Didn't ground Opto negative so will try that.
Squirt hardware docs has vr2- on pin 21.
Will try vr2 pull up if no luck.
suberimakuri

Postby suberimakuri » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:03 pm

My mate has just tried suggestion using pull up on optoin and ground opto neg but injectors are not pulsing (led test) so probably not sync.
Need to plug my laptop in and see.
I'm going to try resistor for vr2+ pickup tomorrow with my laptop.
Will also double check and try rising falling combinations although would think this would just offset timing more than stop sync. Opto will invert signal right?

In the other thread you mention bypass vr circuit stuff by soldering across diode etc.
If this wasn't a micro I would solder signals to chip input. But don't have experience with micro. Is it possible?
suberimakuri

Postby suberimakuri » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:04 am

Unfortunately not to be. Car has been sent back to owner before I could try suggestions. Sorry.
suberimakuri

Postby suberimakuri » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:11 am

So we have success. Thank you Jean! :)

I got to plug the laptop in as per suggestion above before car went back and rpm was there.
VR1 to Opto +ve in with 5v pullup 1k resistor, opto -ve grounded, vr2 to vr2+ve. Both inputs on rising edge, changing an or both edges to falling loses rpm on cranking.
I had to change cam input timing to 180 deg (normally 20deg) to get timing in range.

There seems to be some sort of big miss around 2500-3000rpm. RPM looks solid.
Not sure, tried increasing/decreasing dwell, triple checked rev limits, up/down VE/timing.
Overrun fuel cut was on, but have since removed it. It stopped the 0pw drops, but didn't remove the big miss.
There's a short in the injector wiring bridging outputs 1+2 together, so 2 was cut and all four injectors run off inj1 @ 2 squirt simultaneous. The wiring needs to be fixed (1+4, 2+3) and then semi sequential turned on. Definitely not helping things.
Just noticed AFR Table is up the what.
Wideband would help!
Overall the car needs lots of work, not just with tune, but mechanically too, but it's running.
Thanks again.
suberimakuri

Return to Dual VR