dual VR setup on Ms2 v2.2

http://jbperf.com/dual_VR/index.html

dual VR setup on Ms2 v2.2

Postby Pumanoob » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi, I'm fairly new to this so please bear with me. I have been running my MS2 v2.2 for a few years now, no issues at all, but I want to modify the set up. It currently runs batch fire injection and ignition is run through an EDIS module but I want to run direct coil control on wasted spark with semi sequential injection with a VR input from the dual VR board and 2 x BIP373s. It runs a standard ford 36-1 trigger pattern with the missing tooth 90 degrees before TDC

I had to modify the board to run the EDIS which were :

Remove D5, D8, R10
Remove jumper between XG1 - XG2
Fit wire between XG1 & Right of D5
Fit a 1k resistor in place of D8
Fit a link between the bottom of R10 & the banded side of D9

Ok so I've ordered an external dual VR sensor circuit & ive been looking for information on how to wire it into my ECU, and I can't find any info. I know to wire the VR+ & VR- to my crank sensor, and it needs a 12v + and a ground, and the output comes out as a 5v square wave signal. So firstly, this sounds like a hall sensor signal so do I modify my ECU to take a 5v hall sensor signal, or is that incorrect? Or do I remove all of the mods I did for EDIS (put it back to standard) and use the standard VR input pin on the DB37 plug (pin 24)? Or is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Also once wired in to the correct place, what are the tunerstudio settings I need to use for it to work?

I'm guessing spark mode = trigger wheel
But I don't know the trigger angle offset, skip pulses, ignition input capture, spark output ect.

Ive read through all the posts in this dual VR section, and I can't find a post that answers these questions, so it would be most appreciated if someone can help me with these things. I'm happy to research and read any documentation I can but I seem to have hit a dead end when looking for settings because I'm unsure of what the dual VR output signal will be interpreted as in the MS.

Many thanks in advance!
Pumanoob

Re: dual VR setup on Ms2 v2.2

Postby jbelanger » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:26 pm

First, where are you planning on putting the dual VR board and which firmware are you using? I would recommend putting the dual VR board inside your MS case and using pin 24 as the VR+ input and use one of the spare pins (X11-X14) as the VR- input. Then you can connect the dual VR board output to pin 6 on U4.

As for the firmware, I would recommend you use the latest MS2/Extra firmware. That will give you the best set of features and the best support on the msextra forum. And most, if not all, of your questions about configuration should be answered by the manuals: http://www.msextra.com/manuals/ms2manuals/. Using the EDIS wheel and sensor means you will be using the single missing tooth wheel setup.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Pumanoob » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:15 am

Sorry, I thought id covered all the info regarding the existing set up. The software on the MS is Extra 333e2, I've recently updated it. And I was planning to mount the Dual VR in the glove box near the MS.

I ordered the external board so was under the impression it wasn't able to go inside the MS case, but have brought a DB15 connector to put in the case to run the BIP373 output to coils, and on the opposite end of the connector ill run the VR output from the VR board.

The info in the manual is somewhat confusing because its either for MS1 v2.2, or for MS2 V3/3.57, but its difficult finding much info for my setup.

And my question is, what is the output from the dual VR board into the MS actually going to be classed as? Is it going to be input as a 5v Hall sensor (I can find the board modifications for this), or is it input as a normal VR signal? Because the signal looks like that from a hall sensor. This is what is unclear to me, and the manual does not have (as far as I can see) instruction regarding your particular VR circuit. If I know what type of signal I'm setting the ECU up to receive, I can find the correct board mods needed.

Many thanks for the reply!
Pumanoob

Postby jbelanger » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:40 am

The only difference between the internal and external version of the dual VR board is that the external version has its own 5V regulator circuit and is powered by 12V. It is still the same small board that needs to be put inside some enclosure to protect it from the element. It can be put inside the MS case and powered from the same 12V supply as the MS 5V regulator. Or it can be put outside the MS case inside another case or even sealed shrink tubing.

The output is a 0-5V signal but the V2.2 board only has the opto circuit which is not ideal with the dual VR board output because it does require a significant current to drive it. The best would be to put the dual VR board inside the MS case and do something similar to what was in the old documentation: http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/tachin-v22.html#vr22.

The circuit shown there is not what you would use but you would connect to the same place as indicated (and what I mentioned in my previous message). Another difference would also be that you would need to use a spare pin on the DB37 (or an additional DB connector) to connect the dual VR board to the VR- connection on your sensor.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Pumanoob » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Ah ok, I received the board today and wow, its tiny! So yes I see now its easier to fit it into the MS casing!

And thanks again, that's the info I was looking for, I believe I have everything I need now.

Refit D8 (zener diode 1N4733)
Refit R10 resistor (390ohms 1/2watt resistor)
Fit jumper between XG1-XG2
Remove Wire from XG1 & D5
Remove wire from R10-D9

Fit dual VR inside MS case
Wire the 12v to the V+ & Ms Ground to GND
Wire the crank sensor +ve and -ve to VR1+ & VR1- (through DB15 socket)
Wire out1 to U4 pin 6 on v2.2 board

Does that sound correct so far?

Thanks for your patience Jean, its very much appreciated.
Pumanoob

Postby jbelanger » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:50 pm

You don't need or want to refit D8, R10, the jumper or remove the wires. That side of the opto coupler will actually no longer be used. The circuit will by pass it and the pin 6 connection will simply use the output part of the chip.

So only do your second list of things and you'll be fine. And that list is correct.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Pumanoob » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Ah ok, that's excellent, thanks again for your time! :D
Pumanoob

Postby Pumanoob » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:48 am

Just a quick update, ive fitted the Dual VR as advised by Jean, and its perfect, works right out the box, perfect tooth logs, and all is working well.

Thanks again!
Pumanoob

Return to Dual VR