VSS Setup for Corvette VR VSS

http://jbperf.com/dual_VR/index.html

VSS Setup for Corvette VR VSS

Postby 91blkvette » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:46 am

Seeking help on getting speed sent to TunerStudio. How should the board be wired into my C4 Corvette VR VSS, and MS3X, so that I get a speed readout in TunerStudio?
91blkvette

Re: VSS Setup for Corvette VR VSS

Postby jbelanger » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Exactly how you connect the board will depend on which input you want to use and which main board you have (V3.0 or V3.57). For the best input to use you might be better asking on the msextra forum.

But then you will need to connect 5V and ground from the MS board to the dual VR board and your sensor to VR+ and VR- on the dual VR board. The output will then go to your chosen input on the MS3. You will likely want to put the dual VR board inside your MS3 case so you will need to use 2 spare pins on the DB37 (or on the DB15 if you have the V3.57 board) to connect the sensor to the dual VR board.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby 91blkvette » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Jean,

I have your board wired as you describe (mine is the external version) and have it connected to the MS3X via the Tableswitch In pin, per the 3.4.16 "Speed sensor inputs" section of the MS3X/v3.57 Hardware Manual. But I am not seeing a speed output in my log or TS dash. Is there a way to test the board while still wired to the speed sensor/MS3X?

I'll ask this question on the MS board as well. Thanks
91blkvette

Postby jbelanger » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:21 pm

To test the board you will need to either disconnect it from the MS3 or the sensor. If you disconnect it from the MS3, you can put a LED on the output (ground the other lead on the LED) and turn the wheel. You should see the LED flash. If you disconnect the sensor and leave VR- unconnected, you can touch VR+ to 5V (or 12V) and release it and you should be able to register a speed if you do that fast enough (how fast will depend on your VSS settings). You can also leave VR+ unconnected and use VR-.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby 91blkvette » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:31 am

Thanks again Jean...
91blkvette

Postby 91blkvette » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Jean,

When connected for the test (disconnected from MS3X), I get a steady LED, both at no rotation, and at 2 mph hand rotation ( per my factory dash readout).
91blkvette

Postby jbelanger » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Do you know what frequency you should see at 2 mph? It is possible that it is too slow to register.

Having said that, I don't think that this is the problem and you should probably see the LED flash at that speed. That means that there is another issue. You say that you see the speed on your dash so I assume that you split the sensor between the dual VR board and your dash. Have you tried not sharing the sensor? The dual VR board is normally quite tolerant on that but it is possible that it's not the case here.

At this point, it would be best to test the board in a completely controlled setup to make sure it does work correctly. If you have a JimStim, you can connect VR+ to the secondary trigger signal and use the same LED you did in your other test. Using the 36-1 wheel mode on the JimStim, you should easily see the LED flash. And you should also see it if you use VR- instead (use only one at a time and leave the other one unconnected).

If that works then the board is fine and you can then concentrate on everything external to the board. If it doesn't work then there is a problem with the board itself.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to Dual VR