Hole pitch on plain board ?

http://jbperf.com/dual_VR/index.html

Hole pitch on plain board ?

Postby Rod S » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:50 am

Jean,

On the plain board (no pigtails) what is the hole pitch and diameter of the holes where the wires go.

I would like to be able to "plug" it onto another PCB using a simple pin header arrangement, the same way you join your logger and IOx boards.

0.1" would be easy, 2mm harder but still possible, anything else and I would give up.....

Rod.
Rod S

Re: Hole pitch on plain board ?

Postby jbelanger » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:24 am

Rod,

The pitch is indeed 0.1" and the holes are 1.3mm (about 51 mils). The holes are bigger than what you would use for pin headers but that will still work. That hole size works well for a 20 gauge wire.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Rod S » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:37 am

Brilliant Jean,

Are they also on a 0.1" grid (ie, from one end of the board to the other) to do some experimentation on standard veroboard and also to solder the pins in using veroboard as a guide as the holes are a bit loose otherwise :D

Rod.
Rod S

Postby jbelanger » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:09 am

Rod,

Unfortunately, no they are not on a 0.1" grid. They are 0.85" apart. I do try to keep things on a 0.1" grid when possible but since this is a very small board and I wanted to make it fit a specific case, there were additional constraints.

Jean
jbelanger

Re: Hole pitch on plain board and input R values

Postby Rod S » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:38 am

Jean,

0.85" is obviously not a problem for plugging it to a PCB as I can put the holes where I like and as the difference is exactly 1/2 a pitch I could probably drill the extra holes in a bit of veroboard for a trial.

Second question - I thoroughly read the large thread on the MS-Extra forum and I want to use it one channel VR and the other Hall or opto (and hence miss out the U3 and associated parts on the MS2 V3.0 pcb as well as all of it's troublesome VR circuitry).

Now you say it should work so long as the Hall/Opto input is single ended and I have the IOx board with two of these on anyway so I can use that to test it first, but is there any difference in the way it is configured on the IOx board. I note in the thread on the MS-Extra forum that you say you have changed the input resistor values after the first batch so are they different on this small version compared to the IOx version ?

Rod.
Rod S

Postby jbelanger » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:12 am

Rod,

There is no difference between the 2 boards (except that the IOx has twice as many circuits). The IOx also has the updated resistor value but I don't remember when the change started. You should be able to measure the resistor value if there is not sensor connected.

As for Hall/opto sensor, don't forget that you will need a pull up resistor if your sensor is a "real" Hall sensor, i.e., it switches between floating and ground. You can use either a 5V or a 12V pull up and which one you use will depend on your sensor specs. The IOx and dual VR circuit can handle either.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Rod S » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks Jean,

Yes, I'm aware of the need for a pull-up on the "standard" Hall switch, I'm actually going to test this out on my current project that uses an opto-switch in my home made phase sensor so gives a simple 0-5-0-5-0-5V signal, no pull-up required (trigger is just set to rising edge in the code).

I know I need to just put the 0-5V into VR+ and leave VR- floating but my opto-switch ground would normally be on the ground plane of the MS2 box - presumably the grounds of the IOx board and the MS2 board are well enough linked at their power input to prevent any problems if I just take a single wire from the opto-switch to the IOx and a single wire from the IOx output straight to JS10 and leave its ground connected to the MS2 (it gets the 5V from the MS2 anyway) ?

Obviously, if it all works as expected on the IOx and I get the little board instead, all the power/ground will be within the MS2 box anyway.

Rod.
Rod S

Postby jbelanger » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:56 am

As you say, the grounds should be connected together so I don't see an issue with what you suggest.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to Dual VR