5v Version

http://jbperf.com/dual_VR/index.html

5v Version

Postby Rod S » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:25 pm

Yes, it's been mentioned before so I know the voltage regulator is an LDO version so "should" be OK on 5V but. when you assemble them, is it possible to leave out the regulator and put a small link/bridge in to make them true 5V ? (obviously to a specific order like you do the ones for pigtails).

It would really suit me to have a 5V version and I don't think that even with my Mr Magoo glasses I could remove the regulator chip without un-soldering something else at the same time......

Rod.
Rod S

Re: 5v Version

Postby jbelanger » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:34 pm

Yes, I guess it would be possible. I would leave out the voltage regulator, 2 caps (the ones before the regulator which stabilize the 12V supply but not the ones after which stabilize the 5V supply) and I would put some sort of jumper across 2 pads of the regulator.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Rod S » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:42 am

Excellent Jean,

Next time you have some to assemble, can you email me and I'll take one without the regulator as you describe.

No rush, it's for my long term project and I'm still working on the main PCB design (one of these little boards will be "plugged" onto it hence my question about hole spacings a while ago).

I presume one of the capacitors "after" the regulator (that you would retain) is the normal decoupling capacitor for the IC 5V supply so I don't need to put one on my board at this location ?

Rod.
Rod S

Postby jbelanger » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 am

Ok Rod, I'll do that and let you know. And you're right that there is no need for a decoupling capacitor off the board since that is taken care of on the board.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to Dual VR