AUDI 5 cylinder turbo with original sensors

http://jbperf.com/dual_VR/index.html

AUDI 5 cylinder turbo with original sensors

Postby genderen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Hello,

I'm new with megasquirt an additinal hardware!

I have an audi 5 cylinder turbo with an MC engine, I want to let it run on LPG controlled by a megasquirt! This will control the injection of the LPG at each cylinder!

I would like to use as much as possible from the original sensors. As far I heard and read is that the megasquirt can't deal with the 135 teeth gear from the flywheel. I have fond the wheel translator over here which Jean has developed, this gives a signal for every 3 teeth from the starter gear to the megasquirt!
This sounds promising. Together with the TDC sensor you get a 45-1 signal.

I was wondering what the experience is with this board? Is it this signal reliable? The goal with my audi at the end it to control the ignition through the distributor together with the LPG injection. Another option is to go for a wasted spark and set the megasquirt as a v10 wasted spark. What's the experience with this?

Any ideas are more then welcome, this is my first megasquirt project.

Thanks,

Regards,

Patrick (from the Netherlands)
genderen

Re: AUDI 5 cylinder turbo with original sensors

Postby jbelanger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The wheel translator board is still experimental which is why I don't have it listed here or on the web site. There is one person who has reported success with the board and you might want to contact him: it's Eric Law and his user name is elaw on the msextra forum.

And you don't mention which MS version you're looking into. That will also have an impact on what can and can't be done.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby genderen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your answer, I have contacted Erik. I'm curious for his reaction.
As you mentioned Erik has used it with succes, I'm sorry f or asking but are there also people who used it without succes?

I haven't really thought about what version to use. I think the MS2 V3 or V3,57 should be OK? I have also heard that the MS3 can cope with he 135 teeth gear by itself, so there is no wheel translator needed? That would also be ideal!

But I'm open for advise? Like I said before, I'm still pretty new at all this!

Over here in the Netherlands is some who has an Kdata/KDFI which is build with the same processor as the MS2 i Thought. Please look here: <link removed> That's also a option for me.

Again, all info is usefull for me, regarding my AUDI set up!

Thanks

Regards,

Patrick
genderen

Postby jbelanger » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Patrick,

KDFI is an illegal copy of Megasquirt and uses the MS2/Extra firmware without permission or licensing. Therefore I will not support it and I removed the link in your post.

In theory, MS3 should be able to handle the signal but I don't know if it does support it at this time. And since you need to use 3 tach inputs (2 on the crank and one on the cam), I'm almost certain it is not supported at this time. You should ask on the MS3 forum on msextra.

And since the wheel translator board is experimental, there has been people who have not been able to make it work. There were configuration issues at first and those were resolved with Eric. So those who tried it before this didn't have success and, as far as I know, did move to some other configuration. And I've had very little feedback, if any, from those who have used Eric's setup.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to Dual VR