Installing the PWM on MS V3.0

http://jbperf.com/pwm_converter/index.html

Installing the PWM on MS V3.0

Postby Marc D » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:19 pm

I installed the PWM board on my MSII for a 1999 miata a while back, and I posted about how to install it on the MS. It worked perfectly, but the wiring I made was because it was using a PNP board that someone had built.

I just recently built a board for a friend and I installed it what I think was right. I tried testing it on the car today, but idle didn't work. How is this supposed to be wired up?

I connected the necessary wires for 5v, ground, a second ground, 12v, and the in and out points. I connected the in pin to the center pin of q4, the out pin is connected to the banded side end of the D8 diode position. Is this correct? Should I have put the output pin to the bottom pin of q4?

Are there any resistors that I might have install that I shouldnt have? Thanks!
Marc D

Re: Installing the PWM on MS V3.0

Postby jbelanger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:03 am

From what you say, it should be correct. And the banded side of D8 is the same as pin 3 of Q4 (and is the same as the IDL pin on the DB37) so it doesn't matter which one you use. Where did you connect A_GND? You could have put a jumper in place of R19 and you don't need Q20 and R39.

Can you post a picture of your setup? Also, which frequency multiplier are you using? And how did you configure your MS?

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Marc D » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 pm

So I should remove R19?

A_GND is connected to the grounds near the protoboard. It is connected together with the Ground from the other point.

Q20 was not installed, and R39 has a jumper in it.

The TIP that came with the kit is installed where the high ignition driver transistor would be. I just linked them to the converter board using some wire corresponding to the silkscreen on the converter board. Could that be the problem?

I am using the 128 multiplier. MS was configured to start using PWM warmup so I can test to be sure that the idle was working. I changed the settings up and down and it still would not respond.

Marc D

Postby jbelanger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:43 pm

If the wires to the TIP are in the correct order then it's not an issue and R19 is also not an issue. Looking at the pictures, it is very difficult to see how things are actually wired. What I can see is that the wire at Q4 doesn't look good.

Assuming you don't have an oscilloscope, what you can do is configure the output to be a spare output and set it so that it is on (1). Check that you have 5V at Q4 middle pin, 5V at IN on the board and at pin 1 on the CPU on the board. If that is correct then the input is correct. Then with 5V at the input, you should have 5V at the output so you should see 5V on pin 8 (across pin 1), a few volts on pin 1 of where the TIP would be on the board and the same voltage at the TIP on the heat sink. If you see this then the output is good.

Start there and let me know what you see.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Marc D » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:26 pm

While trying to diagnose this, (thanks for the tips JB), I found out that the problem was due to something on my part.

The harness I made for the build required a 12V signal for the valve itself which I completely skimped on for some reason. After attaching 12Vs to this point on the harness, the idle valve should work!

Thanks JB, I hope this should be a good post to follow on for some instructions on how to wire it.
Marc D

Postby jbelanger » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Yes, having 12V at the valve should help :)

Hopefully that was all it needed.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to PWM Converter