Non sequential use.

http://jbperf.com/quad_ign_inj/index.html

Non sequential use.

Postby Rob_B » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm about to start building a MS2 for a friend. I have all the parts, including a 4 channel driver board.
It will be used on a 4 cylinder engine with wasted spark, but will not be running sequential injection.
I want to use the 4 channel board to make connecting the coils and injectors easier and separate the high current signals from the DB37 connector. And leave the option open to go for sequential injection in the future.

Now I'm not sure how to connect the injector signals to the 4 channel board. Do I take the signals from the same points on the v3 board as shows for sequential injection( inj 1 and 2)? And do I need to leave components out?

And I'm waiting for the delivery of my own 4 channel board. This one will probably be used on my V8. That one will be running MS1-extra. Is it possible to use the board with the MS1? Can I simply use one MS1 channel to trigger 2 injector channels on the 4 channel board. That way 2 MS1 channels can trigger 4 channels on the driver board to fire 8 injectors. Again this is to make it easier to connect the injectors and the 4 coils for wasted spark.

Thanks
Rob_B

Re: Non sequential use.

Postby jbelanger » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:31 pm

For the MS2, you can connect to the same points on the V3.0 board as shown for INJ1 and INJ2 for sequential injection and you can connect 2 drivers on each INJ output. And you don't need to leave any component out but if you haven't started assembling the board, you can leave out all the injector driver components which reduces the assembly time and the number of components needed significantly. Every component on page 4 of the V3.0 schematics can be left out if you want.

For the MS1, you should be able to do the same thing as long as you're not using the hi-res version of MS1/Extra. I'm not that familiar with the code itself but I just had a quick look at the 029y4a source code and the flyback points used for MS2 will work the same way for MS1. Again, you can leave all the components on the board or leave the injector driver circuits unpopulated. Either way will work.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Rob_B » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks Jean.

The MS1 is using the hr version at the moment. I will go back to the normal Extra code and upgrade to MS2 should I need the higher resolution.
Rob_B

Postby Rob_B » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Now that I have my own board I have a few questions. My board is a v1.0a and my friends is a v1.0. Is there any difference between these, or is it just a new batch?

I got the v1.0 board like it is on the picture. (except for the DB15 connector. I soldered that on) Did you make the partial kits like that. I really like the connector for the injectors and ignition signal wires. The ignition connector isn't soldered on, but is part of this kit.
I'm going to get those connectors for my full kit too.

Rob_B

Postby jbelanger » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:19 pm

No, I've never had those connectors in any of my kits. You friend must have bought them himself.

And there is no functional difference between the V1.0 and V1.0A; there is only a small update to the traces connecting the injector drivers to the DB15 connector to use as much copper as possible.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Rod S » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:06 am

Snap - different make of connector but same principle. It means you can actually seperate the two halves of the MS without un bolting or unsoldering anything.

The only thing I found was that I had to put the injector connector on the "underside" of the board otherwise it fouled the bootload jumper on the MS2 daughterboard.

It shouldn't be an issue with an MS1 but worth bearing in mind if you have any plans to upgrade in the future.

Rod S

Postby Rob_B » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:42 pm

jbelanger wrote:No, I've never had those connectors in any of my kits. You friend must have bought them himself.

Strange. It was bought like this here in Holland. No problem, now I know what I need for my own board. :)

Rod S wrote:The only thing I found was that I had to put the injector connector on the "underside" of the board otherwise it fouled the bootload jumper on the MS2 daughterboard.

It shouldn't be an issue with an MS1 but worth bearing in mind if you have any plans to upgrade in the future.

Thanks, Rod.

One will be a MS2 from the start. The other will be on a MS1, but will probably be upgraded to a MS2 in the future.
I haven't finished the MS board yet, but a test fit showed it would be very close to the jumper on the MS2 daughterboard at best. I moved it to the other side of the board now too.
Rob_B

Return to 4-Channel Driver