4 channel driver board, used with MS3?

http://jbperf.com/quad_ign_inj/index.html

4 channel driver board, used with MS3?

Postby Hey_Allen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Ok, this may be a silly question, but I already own a 4 channel driver board, and am considering buying a MS3 upgrade for some of the features that are on the CPU board.
Is there any reason that this board couldn't be used plugged into the MS3x header, instead of coughing up for a MS3X board at the same time?

I know I wouldn't gain all the extra ADC channels and all the inputs and outputs, but would this count as adequate buffering to protect the ECU as mentioned in the pinout notes: (The MS3 card itself has two pin headers. Primarily these are intended to connect to the MS3X card. All signals are 0-5V low-current (0.02A max) and are direct connections to the CPU. They MUST NOT be directly connected to anything off-board. A suitable conditioning or driver circuit is essential - otherwise permanent damage to the CPU will occur.)

In time I would likely consider the MS3X, but as I do not have a cam position sensor at this point in time, I couldn't implement full sequential currently, regardless.

Mostly I'm eyeing the new code for PWM fuel pressure regulation, and the data logging to SD functionality.
Hey_Allen

Re: 4 channel driver board, used with MS3?

Postby jbelanger » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Yes this is definitely something you can do. And it has been done before. So you can connect the board to INJA-D and SpkA-D on the MS3 connectors.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Hey_Allen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:09 am

Thank you for confirming that it would work!

I did go looking for anything I could find that might hint at having done this, but was not finding any posts about it.

I'm assuming that I will need at least some sort of switching transistors on the ignition side, even if not needing IGBT's due to running a set of integrated driver coil packs? Or do the outputs of the MS3 board have enough current sink capability to switch a Chevy coil near plug pack per channel?
Hey_Allen

Postby jbelanger » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:59 am

I would recommend using drivers but you could try to duplicate the Microsquirt ignition outputs. However, that's not really simpler but it is the bare minimum required.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to 4-Channel Driver