I/O Extender availability

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

Re: I/O Extender availability

Postby blackpainter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:51 am

Hello Jean,

i send you a few PMs but did not receive any answer?
Are there any news about the availability and the pricing?
I need the logger board with 2 EGT Amplifiers, RTC (real-time clock), 3-axis accelerometer, USB connection, an optional GPS module, and an SD card socket.
Is the support of the SD Card intended for the near future?
The I/O Extender is needed in the standard configuration.

Thanks
blackpainter

Postby jbelanger » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm sorry for the delay. I have sent you a PM.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby josh » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:03 am

Hi Jean,

I just registered so it wont let me send a pm.

I am looking for an extender, but still learning the ins and outs of things. A tiny extender may work fine for me perhaps?

I am running a ms2 3.57, looking for some extra inputs and outputs

Inputs:
-Speed sensor (for speedometer and mpg calculation)
-2-3 button inputs
-temp sensors for ambient air and egt

Outputs:
-at least 4 pwm outputs (just an on/off output to activate a relay)

Would this be possible? My email is jschattenkirk@gmail.com, I look forward to hearing from you.

Also, here are some crazy things that I am not sure the board is capable of, but I figured I would ask:
-GPS input, so I dont need to bother mounting a VSS
-numeric outputs to display the speed, afr, mpg, etc on a small seven segment display

Thanks for your time!
1982 DeLorean, MS2 3.57
josh

Postby jbelanger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:11 am

The TinyIOx only has 2 PWM outputs so that's a problem. The IOx has 8 PWM outputs. It also has the GPS input capability but you'd need to either use the add-on board or build the needed interface to connect the GPS to the serial port.

The next version of the firmware will allow you to have numeric displays (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1360). However, the data you can display will be limited to start with. More options will be added later.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby dontz125 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:01 pm

josh wrote:Outputs:

Do you need PWM, or on/off? You don't PWM a relay, and the TinyIOx has several pins that could be used as outputs to drive a relay (using a suitable heavy transistor, of course).
dontz125

Postby josh » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:16 pm

dontz125 wrote:
josh wrote:Outputs:

Do you need PWM, or on/off? You don't PWM a relay, and the TinyIOx has several pins that could be used as outputs to drive a relay (using a suitable heavy transistor, of course).

Maybe I am getting my terminology mixed up! Just looking to turn off and on a relay.
1982 DeLorean, MS2 3.57
josh

Postby jbelanger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:24 pm

Then it's just a digital output. And there are many on the TinyIOx.

However, both the IOx and the TinyIOx are do-it-yourself projects and do need soldering skills and a good understanding of electronics (being able to read schematics, for example). The IOx has many circuits on the board that only need to place and solder the components while the TinyIOx requires you to make the circuits using components and placing them on the proto area in the appropriate way for your application. Also the IOx comes in its own case (additional extra) but requires you to machine the aluminum endplate to create the opening for the connector.

So this is definitely not a plug and play project. I can (and do) provide some support on the forum but there is a limit in what can be done over the internet.

I am considering making new board that would provide many of the circuits that the TinyIOx can control in a pre-assembled package so that it would basically be a plug and play unit (with likely a few jumpers to select some options). That may be more what you're looking for. But I don't have an ETA for it at this time.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby josh » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:27 pm

jbelanger wrote:Then it's just a digital output. And there are many on the TinyIOx.

However, both the IOx and the TinyIOx are do-it-yourself projects and do need soldering skills and a good understanding of electronics (being able to read schematics, for example). The IOx has many circuits on the board that only need to place and solder the components while the TinyIOx requires you to make the circuits using components and placing them on the proto area in the appropriate way for your application. Also the IOx comes in its own case (additional extra) but requires you to machine the aluminum endplate to create the opening for the connector.

So this is definitely not a plug and play project. I can (and do) provide some support on the forum but there is a limit in what can be done over the internet.

I am considering making new board that would provide many of the circuits that the TinyIOx can control in a pre-assembled package so that it would basically be a plug and play unit (with likely a few jumpers to select some options). That may be more what you're looking for. But I don't have an ETA for it at this time.

Jean

Thanks for the explanation. I definitely do see some of these posts going right over my head as i'm researching these boards more in depth. SO is looking like the IOx would be a better idea for me. Reading schematics and creating a opening for the connector, ect arent that big of a deal, just my pcb solder skills are a little lacking.
I understand what you mean by explaining over the internet, been there many times helping out other delorean owners!
I complete PnP module would be great, and I think there would be a big market for one.

As for now if I could get pricing on a standard IOx board and the logger board w/the gps I could go from there. I dont see it for sale on the site like the TinyIOx board.
1982 DeLorean, MS2 3.57
josh

Postby jbelanger » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:18 am

Josh,

I'll get back to you shortly on this but I need to check a couple of things. There is one component used on the logger board that is no longer manufactured and I don't have any left either so I need to see if I can get more or what options there are.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby superdavemotorsports » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:52 pm

I tried searching but it doesn't work for something so shorT. What's different in v1.2a.
What the "a" signify?
superdavemotorsports

Postby jbelanger » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:20 pm

I don't know if I have mentioned it anywhere but this is a slight modification that adds a 3-way solder jumper on the bottom of the board to change one of the high current ground pins on the DB37 (pin 31) into a dedicated sensor ground return.

The solder jumper is set by default so that pin 31 is a high current ground (HOut) but if someone is not using the high current outputs or if 2 DB37 pins are enough to handle the current, pin 31 can be used as a sensor ground return. That means that the ground pin (pin 2) can be dedicated as a power supply pin and that could also reduce noise on the analog signal from the ADC inputs.

Please note that the high current ground and the board supply ground are completely separate on the board. This modification keeps that separation, which is desirable for keeping noise lower, but allows more flexibility in the use of the DB37 pins.

Also, the pads for the small transistors have been modified to make them bigger (elongated) and hopefully make the transistors easier to solder to the board.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby toroddandre » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:21 am

I try to send you PM jbelanger, but it does not work so i post it public:

I have a few questions regarding I/OExtender board (not tinyiox)
First of all, is it not available anymore?
Second, do you have someone laying around anyway?
Is it possible to mod it to support a V8 fully seq? ign and inj?
I have now V3.0 PCB with MS2 with minor mods.. do you think of any other way to make it suitable for my v8? i could live with semi seq but i need some help to sort out every info that is out there :)

Best regard
Torodd
toroddandre

Postby Six_Shooter » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:44 pm

toroddandre wrote:I try to send you PM jbelanger, but it does not work so i post it public:

I have a few questions regarding I/OExtender board (not tinyiox)
First of all, is it not available anymore?
Second, do you have someone laying around anyway?
Is it possible to mod it to support a V8 fully seq? ign and inj?
I have now V3.0 PCB with MS2 with minor mods.. do you think of any other way to make it suitable for my v8? i could live with semi seq but i need some help to sort out every info that is out there :)

Best regard
Torodd

I just registered and was going to ask a similar question as above, though I'm really only interested in availability at this point, the rest I think I can figure out. :)
Six_Shooter

Postby jbelanger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:30 pm

I am trying to get back up to date with the different post and PMs but that will take a little while.

I do have a few IOx boards left so I could assemble and make them available. It is best to PM me about it but it may take me some time to respond.

But the IOx cannot be used for ignition or injection outputs. These need to be directly controlled by the ECU and not over the CAN bus. If you want more ignition or injection output, you need something like my 4 channel driver board. And with the MS2, you are limited to 4 injection channels so on a V8 the best you could have is semi-sequential. For full sequential, you need an MS3/MS3X.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Ted75zcar » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:03 pm

+1 for interested in availability and pricing

also ~noob~ so no PM for me. How many posts are required to get blessed?
Ted75zcar

Postby jbelanger » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:51 am

You should now be able to PM me.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby brianj5600 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:28 pm

Are these currently available? Price?
1967 Mustang, 351w, S475 turbo, MS3x, C4, 8.8
brianj5600

Previous