Logger Board with GPS

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx
wes kiser

Logger Board with GPS

Post by wes kiser » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:16 pm

I am working on a customer vehicle that has a I/O Extender with Logger board that was installed/setup around 2012. We are now using an MS3 Pro EVO ECU with the project.

Prior to removing the previous MS3 ECU, I did get the definition off the I/O extender, and connect to the project. With the MS3 Pro EVO, I am reading 4 of the speed channels (front and rear wheel speed, as well as turbos) without any issue, as well as EGT.

It has the logger board, and a GPS antenae. When I enable GPS, while I get some data, the lat and long read zeros directly in the I/O Extender realtime display. I rolled the car outside just to be sure that wasn't the problem, and I never got reasonable Lat/long data. I also had no idea what the proper CAN offset was for GPS data in the MS3, but I shifted it by "2" until all the GPS parameters in the MS3 displayed the same as they did in the realtime display for the I/O Extender.

Is there any documentation to the logger board anywhere? The GPS data would be useful to have. At this point I have not even opened it up, as I NEED the wheel speed and EGT data, and the GPS is just something I would like to work. I am fearful of breaking functionality a month before this vehicles big race.

jbelanger

Re: Logger Board with GPS

Post by jbelanger » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:37 pm

You should be able to use the default data on the MS3. You can have a look at ini file for the IOx and you will see that the offset for gps_latdeg is 128 (in the OutputChannels section) which is also the default offset on the MS3 in the CAN GPS settings. There are 2 CAN messages with 8 bytes each so that goes up to gps_course.

One thing you need to make sure when using the GPS is that the battery is good. If not it will not operate correctly. You also need to have the VBAT solder jumper set (that may depend on which board version you use.). You also need to have the serial port settings set to match the speed of your GPS module.

There is a way to communicate with the GPS directly from your PC using serial passthrough (see the serial settings on the IOx). You then connect your PC to the logger board USB port and the PC should see the GPS module and you should be able to change its settings if needed or simply read the data. This is the software you can use to read the GPS data: http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/GPS/ ... r_1124.zip

Jean

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:51 pm

I should have added that if you don't care about always doing a cold boot for the GPS module (longer to lock onto satellites) and don't care about keeping the realtime clock at the correct time/date, you can always connect the VBat pad to the 3.3V pad and that will provide the needed votage to both the GPS and the realtime clock as long as power is on. Just don't use a battery if you do that as that may lead to an exploded battery.

Jean

wes kiser

Post by wes kiser » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:54 am

If there is a battery involved I am sure that is it. Its at least 5 years old.

What battery does it take, and are the jumpers just normal jumpers?

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:11 pm

The VBAT jumper is a solder jumper, i.e., 2 pads that very close to one another and you need to apply solder to short them together. There are actually 5 of them for the GPS module and they all need to be set for the GPS module to work. That was done to allow changes in case the GPS module this was designed for was no longer available and/or another one was used. Sparkfun had changed pins around in a previous version.

Having said that if the GPS module is installed and has worked before, you likely don't have to worry about the solder jumpers.

The battery is a CR1225.

Jean

wes kiser

Post by wes kiser » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:57 am

Could you confirm what proper CAN offset should read for GPS? While I am sure the "GPS problem" is the battery, the data in Ms3 absolutely did not match the the realtime display within the IOx.

The iox has very old (2012 firmware) and at this time I am reluctant to reflash. I absolutely need wheel speeds to work, so I don't want to brake something I will not have time to fix on race morning.(next time I will see car).

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:36 pm

The fact you have an old IOx firmware is the issue. The data order has changed in the code (and in the ini) for the GPS to keep all the data read by the MS3 in the correct order while using only 2 full CAN messages. You will need to change the firmware to this version.

Then you will be able to use the default offset of 128.

I'm sorry for not picking up on that before but that was done a long time ago and not many people use the GPS. That 'new' firmware is from 2013.

Jean

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:44 pm

And one more thing. For updating the IOx firmware, the easiest way is to use the port scanner. If you don't already have it, download it and use it. Note that it only works on Windows.

Also, make sure to save your current msq before upgrading. You can also post it here if you have issues going to the newer version.

Jean

wes kiser

Post by wes kiser » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:15 pm

At this time I only care about GPS speed. Any way to get that with any offset combination and no firmware update?

I will only have an hour with the car before it races. I need wheel speeds and egts. I don't need (I just want) GPS.

I will have time with it after first run.

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Unfortunately, you won't be able to get the speed through an offset tweak only because the later firmware has a new speed format to have it in km/h whereas the old firmware has it in knots (directly from the GPS data). The MS3 code assumes that the speed is in km/h.

If the 1.852 factor between the two is not an issue then the offset you would use is 124 which would be correct only for the speed (in knots) and the course.

Jean

wes kiser

Post by wes kiser » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:00 am

Thanks. I can fix that with a Tunerstudio expression.

jbelanger

Post by jbelanger » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:08 pm

I'm sorry, it should be an offset of 122 not 124 for the speed in knots. And you actually can get the speed in km/h with an offset of 139 but that will depend on how your GPS module is configured; this requires the NMEA sentence for GPVTG to be sent by the module which I don't think is there by default.

With 139 as the offset, the only thing that will be read correctly is the speed in km/h.

Jean