TinyIOx

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

Re: TinyIOx

Postby Ted75zcar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi Jean,

Finally starting to assemble my DAQ boxes.

I have looked through the forums, and am unable to find my answer.

I am not super familiar with CAN communications. How do I change the address of a TinyIOx? Do I even need to change the address if I am going to have multiple TinyIOx on the same CAN bus?

Thanks

Ted
Ted75zcar

Postby kjones6039 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:46 pm

Ted75zcar wrote:How do I change the address of a TinyIOx? Do I even need to change the address if I am going to have multiple TinyIOx on the same CAN bus?

You can change address' using the Port Scanner utility. I am confident that each TinyIOx needs it's own address.

Hope that helps.

Ken

BTW.... what is a DAQ box?
kjones6039

Postby Rod S » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:54 am

As Ken says, yes, they need to use different addresses. If you have a full size IOx and a Tiny (as I have) then the default addresses are different to start with but once you have two of the same you will have to change one of them. And the latest port scanner is by far the easiest way. You then need to configure them independantly under the two address numbers in your TunerStudio project.
Rod S

Postby Ted75zcar » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:06 pm

BTW.... what is a DAQ box?

Data AQuisition box.

NOTE:

It appears as if enabling either the digital I/O or the PWM inputs bricks the PC direct connection function. I also enabled programmable on/off, channel 1 mapped to PTE2, turn on after 10 seconds.

Had to connect via MS through CAN to recover.

So I am running MS2. It looks like the MS can only deal with 8 ADC channels. Is my thinking correct that the MS can only work with the 8 channels for custom channel editing and so forth, but I will be able to log additional TinyIOx channels with a PC connected via USB through the MS2? I intend to connect upwards of 4 or 5 of these things.

Thanks!
Ted75zcar

Postby Ted75zcar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:47 pm

OK New question

So I think I am getting a handle on this. I have a situation thought that I think I need help with. I now have 2 TinyIOx modules connected to the same CAN bus through my MS2. If I add either one of them through project properties, everything works well. When I add them both, Tunerstudio cycles through online/offline continuously. I am not changing the hardware when I do this. Both Tinys are still connected and powered, I am only adding or removing additional devices in the project properties. One device is CAN ID3, the other CANID6 if that helps.

Thanks,

Ted
Ted75zcar

Postby kjones6039 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Interesting...... I have a spare Tiny..... Perhaps I will hook it up and see if I can duplicate your issue. Probably going to need to wait until next week though.

Ken

EDIT: Not certain it matters, but what firmware (just in case)?
kjones6039

Postby Ted75zcar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:56 pm

I wrote that post as I was heading out the door, hoping for the silver bullet.

I know for full effect I need to post additional info, so here is some:

TS MS Ultra 3.0.15
MS2/Extra 3.4.2 20160421

MSPNP2 (DIYautotune) MM9093 with v1.2 main board

Project backup uploaded. The real-time data for one of the two CAN devices is disabled, this works as expected. It doesn't matter which device is disabled, it will work with 1, break with 2.

I am crash coursing the ini files right now. This feels like a collision issue to me, but I can't see where the poll rate is set. I do see a "blockReadTimeout" setting in the CANx.ini, which I have fiddled with with no effect. I did the same in the mainController.ini, and nada.

I also thought I could strip out a bunch of polled fields to reduce the bus traffic, but haven't figured out what to delete/comment out yet to do that.

I have a 3rd TinyIOx that I will hook onto the same bus. See if it does anything different.

hmmm, the tsproj file is not showing up in the preview, It is large (~36MB) ... too big?
Attachments
2016-12-22_15.48.06.msq
(119.51 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Ted75zcar

Postby kjones6039 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:25 pm

Ted75zcar wrote:I know for full effect I need to post additional info, so here is some:

TS MS Ultra 3.0.15
MS2/Extra 3.4.2 20160421

Still wondering which TinyIOx firmware...........

Ken
kjones6039

Postby Ted75zcar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:25 pm

Sorry

Alpha V0.2.0

Update, now have 3 Tinys on the same bus, any single one will work, any combination of 2 or more is brizoken.
Ted75zcar

Postby kjones6039 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:42 pm

Ted75zcar wrote:Sorry

Alpha V0.2.0

Update, now have 3 Tinys on the same bus, any single one will work, any combination of 2 or more is brizoken.

Thanks Ted!

This sounds more and more like a question for Jean.......

Ken
kjones6039

Postby Ted75zcar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:55 pm

Not going to lie, I am getting very frustrated here. I put a lot of time into building these things into nice enclosures, wiring harnesses and such. Didn't try to daisychain until I was pretty far into the project. I was testing them stand-alone at several steps in the process.
Ted75zcar

Postby Ted75zcar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:30 pm

I will say that I am VERY interested to know if you can get 2 Tinys to work on the same bus at the same time. What MS version do you have?
Ted75zcar

Postby Rod S » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:18 am

As Ken says, probably one for Jean.

I only have one T-IOx so can't try to replicate your problem but I also have a full size IOx and an IOx-OEM and, although I usually only use the Tiny and the IOx-OEM together, I have had all three on the same bus without issues. Quite a pain (well for me anyway) to get it all setup right in TunerStudio but once that was right all was fine.

Are you using custom ini's and/or have you renamed the standard ini files to match the T-IOx's device names (the ini file(s) have to have the same name as the device, ie, you need more than one ini file if you have more than one device, or at least, that is how I got it to work, ie, CAN1.ini, CAN2.ini etc. with CAN1, CAN2, etc. being what I named them in TS). Then custom.ini's, once you get the hang of them, simplify matters even more (and speed the data rate up).
Rod S

Postby Ted75zcar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:32 pm

Rod S wrote:As Ken says, probably one for Jean.

I only have one T-IOx so can't try to replicate your problem but I also have a full size IOx and an IOx-OEM and, although I usually only use the Tiny and the IOx-OEM together, I have had all three on the same bus without issues. Quite a pain (well for me anyway) to get it all setup right in TunerStudio but once that was right all was fine.

Are you using custom ini's and/or have you renamed the standard ini files to match the T-IOx's device names (the ini file(s) have to have the same name as the device, ie, you need more than one ini file if you have more than one device, or at least, that is how I got it to work, ie, CAN1.ini, CAN2.ini etc. with CAN1, CAN2, etc. being what I named them in TS). Then custom.ini's, once you get the hang of them, simplify matters even more (and speed the data rate up).

Good advice, I was pointing them all to the same INI, but ALAS, still no joy.

Do you have a link or reference on how to streamline the ini files? If not, could you post your custom ini for the Tiny so I can have a look at it?
Ted75zcar

Postby Ted75zcar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:25 pm

stripped a bunch of stuff out of the project directory, so re-try on the upload
Attachments
1991Miata_2016-12-22.zip
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
Ted75zcar

Postby Ted75zcar » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:00 pm

posting now on msextra as well

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 83#p491383

Pretty sure we have at least a couple/few bugs here. Debug logs show under run controller warnings, out of range, java warnings ...

This does not look like a hardware problem. I have tried various bridge device configurations, including hooking a 232R directly to the B&G UART, no change. Signalling on both the CAN and the UART appears to be proper, but I don't have a protocol analyzer, so I may be wrong there.

Debug logs regularly report protocol validation errors. Even if no CAN devices are added to the project, there are protocol validation errors.

INIs, debug logs, datalogs, project backup attached
Attachments
CAN Forum Support Files 20161225.zip
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
Ted75zcar

Postby jbelanger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:24 pm

I apologize for not responding earlier but I have had some health issues. I'll try to get up to date with the backlog here and elsewhere on the forum but that will take a few days and I'm still not at my best.

Having said that, I did have a look at the TS logs snippets you have posted on the msextra forum and from what I can see in there, the issue seems to be entirely due to TunerStudio. Unless the logs don't show everything, the commands sent by TS are answered correctly by the TIOx and MS2 even when TS says there is an error. The size and format of the messages are correct (correct crc32) and the delay seems fine too. If there was an issue with the TIOx or the MS2, you would either see a badly formatted message or an error message from the MS2.

I do hope that Phil checks your post and replies. As I said, what I see there doesn't make sense as it looks like a correct messages exchange until TS declares that there is an error which can't be seen in the log.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Ted75zcar » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:42 pm

I am sorry to hear you are having health problems. I hope they are resolved soon.

This is where I am at with this as well.

Is it proper for the second Tiny to be sending 249 bytes back after the first one only sends 49?

When TS reads data from a Tiny, does it get everything (all the EGTs/AFRs/PWMs ...) or only the data that is being actively used (Datalogging/Gauges)?

If it is everything, can I modify the INI file to only have TS query the ADCs?

Would it be possible for you to hook 2 Tiny's to the same CAN bus on your end to see if you can replicate the issue?

Thanks,

Ted
Ted75zcar

Postby jbelanger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:54 pm

I was also surprised to see the number of bytes requested because normally TS only reads the data it needs for display on its dash and for enabled functions when datalogging. That seems to be the case for the first TIOx but not for the second one. That is definitely a TS issue but it would only be an optimization issue that would slow down communication; it should not cause what you're seeing.

And I have posted on the msextra forum.

I will try to reproduce this but my test setup is not fully operational at this time.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Ted75zcar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Figured I would post an update

Looks like we are on the path to a solution. Beta TS 3.0.16.06 looks like it might have solved this problem.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=64780&start=40
Ted75zcar

PreviousNext

Return to I/O Extender