TinyIOx

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

Re: TinyIOx

Postby Perkkis » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:08 am

Thank you very much. :D
I actually tried these setting before, but not all at the same time so obviously they didn't work. :mrgreen:
Now they almost seem to work, I'm only getting EGT's from 1 and 2, but I think it's because my gpioadc channels start from number 1 and I need to change all gpio channel numbers down by -1.
I think the channel mapping goes like this with MS2 CAN.
AD0 = ADC1 = gpioadc0
AD1 = ADC2 = gpioadc1
AD2 = ADC3 = gpioadc2
so on...
Perkkis

Postby jbelanger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:30 am

Good to see you have it working. And you're correct about the numbering.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby coizamora » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:12 am

Jean I bought one of these can you pass me the electric diagram? Sorry my english ... :mrgreen:
coizamora

Postby jbelanger » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:59 am

Why do you want this? The header pinout found on the first page of this thread should be all that you need.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby hardline » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Jean, will this connect serially to the Innovate MTX-L? If so, That would definitely help with my AFR skewing.
hardline

Postby hardline » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 pm

:oops: Probably should have read the whole thread before posting.
hardline

Postby jbelanger » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:43 pm

No problem.

Actually, it would be good to confirm that this is still the same with the newer units. I don't think it would have changed but I don't have access to a unit and Innovate haven't updated their online documents for years so there is nothing specific on their new units.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby hardline » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 pm

My MTX-L is about 18 months old. Not sure where that falls in the changes they made to it. I'll update here once I get the board in.
hardline

Postby jbelanger » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:45 pm

That sounds good.

What you could do in the mean time is to connect your MTX-L to your PC and capture the raw data coming out of the serial port (using a terminal app). If you post the resulting file, I could have a look and confirm if that is identical or not.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby hardline » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Once I find my serial cable, I will do that.
hardline

Postby dontz125 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi, Jean.

Just fooling around in TS, looking at the PWM settings, and I can't figure out how to un-grey the 'Generic PWM Output A/B' tabs under 'Extended Control.' I've flipped every clicky in the 'TinyIOx Setup' section, and nothing ...
Attachments
2013-11-19_19.28.22.msq
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
dontz125

Postby jbelanger » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Don,

You need to disable the PWM outputs in the base settings. That option is for controlling the outputs from another source.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby dontz125 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:18 am

Ok ... that worked, just not sure what I'm doing. If the 'Basic' setting is 'Enabled', then the two PWM channels are driven by whichever MS subroutine wants a PWM output - boost control etc. If the Basic setting is 'Disabled', then the two channels are driven by the TinyIOx according to whichever of the seven MS data streams were selected (if Local), or again by a MS subroutine (if Remote). Close?
dontz125

Postby jbelanger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:38 am

Close but not quite. Actually, the problem is that what you see in the PWM outputs window is misleading because I put things there that were not supported at the time (the local/remote setting) and I did not remove it when I added the generic PWM output which is what is local to the TinyIOx. The new IOx firmware corrects this and since I'm porting the changes to the TinyIOx, this will also be corrected in the next release.

So the PWM outputs setting in the base settings is to enable the MS3 to use a TinyIOx outputs for one of its functions (MS2/Extra uses a different method with the ports settings). So when used that way the PWM outputs are always set to remote in the PWM outputs settings. If you want to use the TinyIOx generic PWM outputs, you need to disable the PWM outputs in the base settings and use the settings in the Extended Control menu.

Most of what you have in the first menu are for I/Os that are polled/controlled from a remote controller. The second menu is for functions that are under the TinyIOx control. (I may need to move the AFR settings to the second menu to keep that consistent.)

Hopefully that is a bit clearer. I should probably add some tooltips to the ini file.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby dontz125 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:47 am

So - if you're using MS2/Extra and want PWM outputs, it's 'Disabled' in the Basic chart, ignore the 'Remote' and 'Local' settings in the Output chart, go with the 'Extended' charts.
dontz125

Postby jbelanger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 am

Do you want the TinyIOx to use the duty cycle from the table on the TinyIOx? If so, that's correct. The TinyIOx will poll whatever parameter you've selected as load and RPM from the MS2 and look up the duty cycle in the table from those to set the output PWM signal.

If you want to use one of the TinyIOx PWM output for an MS2/Extra function that uses a PWM output (idle or boost control), then you can have a look at what is on the IOx web page. There are some differences but the principle is the same: you use one of the 3 spare port not as 8 digital outputs but as a single 8-bit duty cycle value.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby dontz125 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 am

Ah - got it. I read too much into your comment of, "MS2/Extra uses a different method with the ports settings", and got myself all confused. It does in fact work the way I imagined it would - all good.

Slight side bar - I noticed while rummaging around on the IOx page this comment, "It should be noted that at this time all the spare ports are either on the MS2 or on the I/O Extender. It is not possible to have a mix of MS2 and I/O Extender spare port configuration." Is this still true? I ask because you can set both the local and remote spare pins in an MS2 msq without anything greying out or otherwise yelling at you.
dontz125

Postby jbelanger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:29 am

dontz125 wrote:Slight side bar - I noticed while rummaging around on the IOx page this comment, "It should be noted that at this time all the spare ports are either on the MS2 or on the I/O Extender. It is not possible to have a mix of MS2 and I/O Extender spare port configuration." Is this still true? I ask because you can set both the local and remote spare pins in an MS2 msq without anything greying out or otherwise yelling at you.

That must have been quite an old message. If I remember correctly, the very first implementation I did for using the IOx outputs as spare ports used the same variables as the original spare ports so you could either use MS2 port or IOx ports. But that was changed to use dedicated variables for the remote spare ports. So that's no longer true and both are independent and can be used at the same time.

And now with the latest IOx firmware, you have a third option which is to use the IOx programmable on/off output ports feature which is also independent but can use data from the MS2 or MS3 or IOx (or any other MS-compatible device connected to the CAN bus) to set an IOx digital output port. And you can have up to 3 conditions per output.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:06 am

One thing I should add is that the TinyIOx current implementation of the generic PWM outputs is more limited than the new IOx implementation. The loads are limited to a few specific outputs on the MS while the IOx can use any data on either the IOx or any other device on the CAN bus. You can have a look at the IOx implementation by creating a project with the latest ini (no need to have an IOx to go through the different options; create an MS2/Extra or MS3 project with an IOx as a CAN device for a full view of the possibilities). This is also shown in the post presenting the new IOx firmware (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1277).

This new expanded implementation will be ported to the TinyIOx in the near future.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby dontz125 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:00 am

Hi, Jean.

Could the PWM output (full version) be used for controlling a pump vs rail pressure? 0-5v pressure signal in on AD2 + PWM signal to a heavy MOSFET via TMP2CH0 = greatly reduced heat in the pump and rail AND a lot fewer amps sucked out of my already overstressed alternator ... :D
dontz125

PreviousNext

Return to I/O Extender