TinyIOx firmware and ini

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

TinyIOx firmware and ini

Postby jbelanger » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:33 am

Note:The original thread for the TinyIOx where most of the information is located can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1032

This the latest firmware, loader and ini for the TinyIOx: http://jbperf.com/io_extender/firmware/ ... v0_0_3.zip.

Please note that there was a mistake in the original ini file so if you have a TinyIOx project you should use the one included in the zip or this one: http://jbperf.com/io_extender/firmware/ ... inyIOx.ini which is the same.

Jean
jbelanger

Re: TinyIOx firmware and ini

Postby jbelanger » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:55 pm

There is a new version of the firmware that corrects some potential issues with the LC-1 communication: http://jbperf.com/io_extender/firmware/ ... v0_0_4.zip.

Use the same ini as linked in the message above.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:58 pm

There is a new version of the firmware which adds two generic PWM channels. More details are available here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1181

The firmware and ini files are available here: http://jbperf.com/io_extender/firmware/ ... v0_0_5.zip

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:15 pm

There is a new version of the firmware which adds the push button start feature and config error messages. More details on the push button start feature are available here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1195

The firmware and ini files are available here: http://jbperf.com/io_extender/firmware/ ... v0_0_6.zip

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:43 pm

This is a bug fix release. There was an error in the interpolation routine for the generic PWM outputs which affected the output if the duty cycle was not always increasing with respect to RPM and load. The ini file has not changed.

The firmware and ini files are available here: http://jbperf.com/io_extender/firmware/ ... v0_0_7.zip

Jean
jbelanger

Re: TinyIOx firmware and ini v0.1.0

Postby jbelanger » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:33 pm

There is a new TinyIOx firmware release. This release ports to the TinyIOx the upgrades from the IOx release v0.1.1: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1277. The upgrades are limited by the TinyIOx fewer resources (only 2 generic PWM outputs and 4 programmable on/off outputs) and there is no generic CAN broadcast.

There are also some new features that will be ported to the IOx. It is now possible to have 12-bit ADCs and still have 10-bit ADCs for the MS2 and MS3. When configuring the ADC to be 12-bit values, a 10-bit value is still written to the same variables (ad1 to ad9)) so that the offset used in MS2/Extra and MS3 CAN parameters can remain the same. The new 12-bit values are located in the ad12_x variables and those can be used with the generic PWM outputs and with the programmable on/off outputs.

The generic PWM outputs can now have more precision than before but only when using the curve (2-D) and not the full table (3-D). The duty cycle when using the table is still an 8-bit value (resulting in about a 0.4% resolution). When using the curve, you can either select to have either a 10-bit value (about 0.1% resolution) or a 12-bit value (about 0.025% resolution) for the duty cycle. However, that limits the maximum frequency and the frequency values available. This spreadsheet gives the frequency values available with the different parameters available.

Also note that when selecting the RC servo clock, that limits the PWM (both for the table and the curve) to an 8-bit value. However, the RC servo can use a 10-bit or 12-bit value for its control when using a curve in the generic PWM outputs.

Finally, the x axis variable for the table for the generic PWM outputs can now be selected from any one available on the TinyIOx or the MS or any other CAN device on the bus in the same way as it is already possible for the load (y axis). This will make the control of the output more flexible when using a table.

The firmware and ini files are available here: http://jbperf.com/io_extender/firmware/ ... v0_1_0.zip

Jean
jbelanger

Postby kjones6039 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:19 am

Jean,

Is there a way to query TinyIOx to ascertain which version is installed? I had set my project aside for several months and have forgotten what version I loaded last.

Thanks,

Ken
kjones6039

Postby jbelanger » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:17 am

You can use the port scanner: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1282.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby kjones6039 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Yep!!!

That worked! :D
port_scanner_v0_1.jpg
port_scanner_v0_1.jpg (14.67 KiB) Viewed 20331 times

Soooooooo............

I decided to try my hand at downloading the firmware again, just for practice. I had done this a long time ago and was successful. This attempt was with my old netbook, running Vista and my equally old, KeySpan usb adapter that I have used with all of my projects. Below is the result of that attempt:
TinyIOxdl.jpg
TinyIOxdl.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 20331 times

This is not a big deal! The Tiny is working fine and I will be content to leave it alone.

Thanks as always,

Ken
kjones6039

Postby jbelanger » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:34 pm

If your MS2 is running 3.3.x, you need to use tinyioxdl_ms3.exe instead of tinyioxdl.exe to download the firmware. MS2/Extra now uses the same newer serial communication protocol as MS3.

By the way, as long as you're downloading the code why not upgrade to the newest one instead of reloading the same old one?

Jean
jbelanger

Postby kjones6039 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks Jean!

I assume that tinyIOx_v0_0_7.zip would be the latest............

Ken
kjones6039

Postby jbelanger » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:31 am

Ken,

Actually, v0.1.0 is.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby kjones6039 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Jean,

Got it loaded and all is well.

Now, since I have you cornered.......

Can you point me to a resource that will help me understand the significance/use of, Remote Tables and their associated offsets as used in the Can Parameters settings in TS?

I hope that question makes sense...... :roll: :lol:

Thanks for all your great help and support as always! :D

Ken
kjones6039

Postby jbelanger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:03 pm

The tables are where the data is stored on any device connected to the CAN bus. In the case of the TinyIOx (and the IOx and MS2/Extra and MS3), the table you want to use for the data that is logged by TunerStudio and that can be used between devices is table number 7. The offsets are the location of each parameter within that table.

Now you will ask: how the hell do I know the location of each parameter in that table? The answer is found in the ini file associated with the firmware you're using on the specific device. You need to go to the [OutputChannels] section of the ini where you will find a list of all the parameters with some information like this:

Code: Select all
   ad0              = scalar, U16,    2, "", 1,0

In this case this is the first ADC channel which is a scalar parameter, is a 16-bit unsigned value, has an offset of 2 in the table, doesn't have any units, and doesn't have any specific scaling (it's in raw ADC counts). You don't have to understand all that but the number you need is the offset. And you need to associate the parameter name with what specific data you need; the naming should help but if you need help on this just ask.

By the way, the default numbers in MS2/Extra and MS3 correspond to the IOx offsets so you could check its ini file as a reference.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby rickster » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 pm

I noticed that when I was trying to diagnose a lag issue with 2x SLC OEM's that this post referenced firmware version 1.0.1c

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1321

Is that the latest firmware that I should be using? I don't see it referenced here...is there a later version than 0.1.0c?

Thanks,

Rick
rickster

Postby jbelanger » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:49 pm

Actually, you should use 0.1.0D which available here: viewtopic.php?t=1424&p=7387#p7387. That will be the basis of the next release.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:28 pm

The latest firmware 0.2.0 is available here (long post with a link to the code and description of all the new features).

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Breastfed » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:07 am

Hi Jean,
I've had this tinyIOX for a while probably 2-3 years the PCB is V1.0, from what i read it should work with the original FW
As instructed DL'd the tinyioxdl_ms3.exe > when I click on the exe it flash's up on the screen but never opens, I tried compatability mode and run as administrator but its still the same.
This laptop runs Win10 64bit. using Com5 works fine with TS

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html
"So, with the PC connected to the MS and the TinyIOx connected to the MS, you need to put tinyioxdl.exe and tinyIOx.s19 in the same directory, open a command window, go to the directory where the files are and type:

tinyioxdl COMx 115200 tinyIOx.s19

where COMx is the COM port used to connect to the MS."

edit.. appreciate any suggestions

Breastfed
Attachments
TinyIOX_Downloader V3.png
TinyIOX_Downloader V3.png (4.6 KiB) Viewed 2463 times
Breastfed

Postby Breastfed » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi
I'm trying to configure the can settings and not really having much luck just yet, Well I just had a thought with regards to the .s19 and the .ini files from the most recent tinyIOx_v0_2_0.zip file are these matching ? meaning can I use the older .s19 that came installed in the TinyIOX from 2 yrs ago with the latest tinyIOx.ini from tinyIOx_v0_2_0 ?

Current setup is MS2V3.0 MSnExtra 3.4alpha6

Breastfed
Breastfed

Postby jbelanger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:21 pm

The easiest way to upgrade the firmware is to use the port scanner: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1282

And you need to use the ini that matches the firmware on your TIOx.

But if you want to use the command line, you need to type 'tinyioxdl_ms3' at the beginning of the command line.

Jean
jbelanger

Next

Return to I/O Extender