TinyIOx generic PWM

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

TinyIOx generic PWM

Postby jbelanger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:56 pm

There is a new version of the TinyIOx firmware which has 2 generic PWM channels. These can be used with either MS2/Extra or MS3 and use the timer 2 outputs (TPM2CH0 and TPM2CH1). This is what the configuration panel looks like:

and these are the possible load parameters for the y-axis:

The PWM frequency is set with the timer 2 parameters in the Base I/O Settings panel:

To translate that into a PWM frequency, you can use this Excel spreadsheet: http://jbperf.com/io_extender/PWM_freq.xls. This allows PWM frequency of up to 93750 Hz. The values in the table are the duty cycle % but there are represented internally as a 0-255 value. That is why there is a decimal value. However, the precision is about 0.4% (100/256) which means the value you enter will be rounded to the closest valid value.

The RPM and load are read over CAN from the MS2 or MS3 about 20 times per second. Since the RPM and the load parameters are located in the internal table in a standard way on both MS2/Extra and MS3, the firmware can read the values without any user input (other than specifying which parameters to use).

The firmware and the ini files are available here: http://jbperf.com/io_extender/firmware/ ... v0_0_7.zip

Jean

EDIT: Firmware version has been changed to fix a table interpolation bug.
jbelanger

Re: TinyIOx generic PWM

Postby dbmsrcr1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:14 pm

What would it take to be able to use this as a progressive nitrous controller. %/time Im currently running zex noids. looking forward to using the tinyiox board.
dbmsrcr1

Postby jbelanger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:27 pm

dbmsrcr1 wrote:What would it take to be able to use this as a progressive nitrous controller. %/time Im currently running zex noids. looking forward to using the tinyiox board.

One solution would be to use a solid state relay. But you would also need a driver circuit because you wouldn't want to driver the SSR directly from the TinyIOx CPU. So you could probably use a PN2222A with a base resistor to drive the SSR.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:45 pm

There was a bug with the table interpolation routine. A bug fix version has been released: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1102&p=6078#p6078. Anyone using the generic PWM function must upgrade their firmware version otherwise unexpected results can occur.

I have also changed the link in the post above.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby masterx81 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi! the TinyIOX has only 2 configurale pwm outputs, no way to have more of them? The Y load axis can accept more channels (like ms3 alpha 8)? I need to drive a cluster of 3 gauges...
Thanks!
masterx81

Postby jbelanger » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:58 pm

The load axis will likely have something similar to the MS3 alpha code in a future release (need to wait for a TS update). However, it is unlikely to have more than 2 PWM outputs in the near future.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby masterx81 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:17 pm

So i need an IOX-OEM? with that is possible to have the y axis free like ms3 alpha?
I've ended the ms3 outputs and inputs, so i need an extension...
masterx81

Postby jbelanger » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:53 pm

It is still not implemented for the IOx-OEM either because that feature requires some changes to TunerStudio. The TunerStudio changes are coming soon and then it will be added to the IOx and TinyIOx code.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby masterx81 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:41 am

Ok, really thanks! Maybe for now i buy an iox oem, and wait for the update :)
masterx81

Return to I/O Extender