Problem MS3 TinyIOX with 2 SLC OEM EvK

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

Problem MS3 TinyIOX with 2 SLC OEM EvK

Postby Mustang68 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:24 am

I have 2 SLC OEM EvK connected to a TinyIOX through a MS3 and the read out from both SLC is realy slow (realtime data TinyIOX and MS3), the analog output are working well. I tried almost every thing upgraded to the latest firmware, nothing worked until I disconnected 1 slc and did not changed anything yet in tunerstudio, so setup for 2 slc > still slow reading, changed it to 1 slc in TS and it worked perfect. Is this a bug in the firmware or am I doing something wrong? As far I know I can only set the address on the slc and set the number of slc in TS.

Jacco
Mustang68

Re: Problem MS3 TinyIOX with 2 SLC OEM EvK

Postby jbelanger » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:55 am

What addresses did you use for the SLC-OEMs? You need to set the first one to 16 (only ADDR4 set) and the second one to 17 (ADDR4 and ADDR0 set).

Also, how did you connect the 2 SLC-OEMs to the TinyIOx?

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Mustang68 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:39 am

What addresses did you use for the SLC-OEMs? You need to set the first one to 16 (only ADDR4 set) and the second one to 17 (ADDR4 and ADDR0 set).

Yes, both are working but it's like they have a big lag factor.
I have both slc wired up again, if I set the TinyIOX to 1 then the first one works normally and I have switched them around address and boards

Also, how did you connect the 2 SLC-OEMs to the TinyIOx?

I have them external so I use a P82B715 I2C-Extender with only 30cm of wiring in between. I will try it without the extender, thats the last thing i didn't try yet.

Jacco
Mustang68

Postby jbelanger » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:14 pm

The lag you see means that the code is not receiving the response from the SLC and then it has to wait for a time out before trying again. So there is something affecting the communication when using 2 modules. The I2C extender could be the issue; can you describe exactly how you have the I2C connections wired and where you have pull ups.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Mustang68 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:09 am

I have tried it without the expander, same issue. I have wired the SDA together and the SCL together and one 4.7k pull up one each line.
The first slc of 2 is a lite bit more responsive with or without expander.

Did you test the TinyIOX with more then one SLC or am I the first to try?

To recap:

1slc tinyIOX set to 1, working faster then the analog input
1slc tinyIOX set to 2, not working well

2slc tinyIOX set to 1, working faster then the analog input
2slc tinyIOX set to 2, not working well

How does the code react if one of the slc is missing, for instance if I set the second one to address 18 and set the tinyiox to 3 slc?

Jacco
Mustang68

Postby jbelanger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 pm

The code has been tested with up to 8 modules. If one or more SLC is missing, you should have problems like you're seeing because the code will timeout for the missing SLC. So the only thing that should not happen is your last case with 2 SLCs and the TinyIOx set to read both. Using address 18 without 3 SLCs will have the same issue.

Have you tried to switch the addresses to see that you have the same result no matter which one is the first? I will have a look at the code to see if I can change the timing of the reads when using more than one. The fact you have longer lines than what I've tested with might have an impact.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:13 pm

I have made some test code where I changed how the SLC-OEMs are polled. Instead of doing a burst of reads for all the present modules at a certain rate, I now do about the same number of reads but more equally spaced in time. That should help for cases where there might be some timing issues.

Please try it and let me know if that changes what you see. The code uses the same ini as the latest release (0.1.0).

Jean
Attachments
tinyIOx.s19
Test code with different SLC polling (0.1.0A)
(72.18 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
jbelanger

Postby Mustang68 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:47 am

Yes, it is working but I had to set the amount of slc to 3 to get it working. I took a half hour drive, no problems this is without the I2C expander (I need to try it with the exp. yet).

I like to add that before I started testing in car it looked fine on the bench, but there you don't have the fast changes what you do have in car.

I assume that the IO-extender has the same 'problem' ? I like to use that combo to.

Thanks Jacco

PS
Have you tried to switch the addresses to see that you have the same result no matter which one is the first?

Yes, that was one of the first things I tried, swap the boards etc.
Mustang68

Postby jbelanger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:32 pm

What happened when you had it set to 2? Was it reading only the first one or was it slow like it was before?

And yes the IOx has the same code so will need to get the same update.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Mustang68 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:57 am

What happened when you had it set to 2? Was it reading only the first one or was it slow like it was before?

It was only reading the first one like it was set to 1, so set 1 or 2 was the same reading the first one like it should.
I also tried 4 then the dials lockup, reset it to 3 and then it needs a power-cycle to work again.

On a other note, the I2C expander is working just like without it.

Also i notes when i go in fuel-cut overrun the TinyIOx read lean afr 25,5 (like it should) but in the ms3 it reads rich, it starts with reading lean and switches to rich. This could be a ms3 problem that it can't handle a afr of 25,5.

Jacco
Mustang68

Postby jbelanger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:51 pm

It's good to know that the I2C bus extender is working transparently.

I checked the code and I made a stupid mistake. I have attached a new version that should allow you to set the number of SLCs to the correct value. Also, it should behave differently when you set a number higher than the number of SLCs you have; instead of freezing everything, it will slow things down but you should continue to have an update of the present SLCs.

I would appreciate if you could test it because I don't have a test setup with SLCs at this time. If this works as intended, it will be in the next release and it will be ported to the IOx.

Jean
Attachments
tinyIOx.s19
Corrected s19 (v0.1.0B)
(72.26 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
jbelanger

Postby Mustang68 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:29 pm

It works well, settings are like it should be. I even hooked up a third slc.
It keeps working when set to + one or more none existing slc, it's a bit slower but better then before.

Still have the problem when the afr reads full lean 25,5 the ms3 goes rich, if the afr is 22,5 the ms3 reads oke. Can you limit the afr over canbus?

Thanks, Jacco
Mustang68

Postby jbelanger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:01 pm

The AFR is stored on an 8-bit value so anything over 25.5 will wrap around to 0. There might be some differences between the how the AFR is computed on the TinyIOx and the MS3 which makes the MS3 overflow the 8-bit value. I'll have a look at the TinyIOx code to see if that can be avoided. But I'll also contact James about the MS3 code so that may also be corrected there.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:42 pm

This version should solve the overflow/going full rich issue.

Jean
Attachments
tinyIOx.s19
Overflow correction v0.1.0C
(72.74 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
jbelanger

Postby Mustang68 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:05 am

It's working, I don't see any other problems.

Thanks,
Jacco
Mustang68

Return to I/O Extender