Controlling a Subaru DCCD differential

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

Re: Controlling a Subaru DCCD differential

Postby tpsretard » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:56 pm

masterx81, i just had a moment to look at the datasheet for the VND14NV04. it is a lovely device.. i think it would make a good option.

I have not had a chance to measure the coil current in the usable range of coil, but worst it will be is about 7 to 8 amps. probably just need a few vias and a pad to sink any heat away.

I still think a bunch of discreet transistors is the easiest way to go, but have also been giving ULN2803-S18 a thought. this weekend, i will strip my gauge cluster down and see how much current the bulbs use.
tpsretard

Postby masterx81 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:11 pm

For sure the current sensing method is the best one, but alone can't detect a fault at low or 0% duty (too small current)... Then it need a curve on dc vs average current for check if it's within limits.
masterx81

Postby jbelanger » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:25 pm

With a PWM working at 100Hz, it should be doable to measure the current at anything over 10% duty cycle and maybe less. That's about 1ms of on time and the sensor reacts much faster than that. I also think I can read that on an ADC at least that fast. So I would measure only when the output is on so there would be no need to take PWM duty cycle into account for the threshold and data logging.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tpsretard » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:21 pm

The stock old controller uses a pair of upa1522H array's to switch the lights.
Testing the cluster the lights when removed are freakishly bright. at 14.5 volts they were drawing around 90ma

a K1290

My DCCD coil reads in at 1.8 ohms, i saw a peek of 8.6 amps draw from it also.
tpsretard

Postby jbelanger » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:02 pm

That means that the VND14NV04 and the ULN2803 would be good choices for driving the coil and lights and the ACS711 would be a good current sensor choice.

I'm not sure I will have time to do any coding on this before a week or so but at least we should have defined most of the requirements to have a first version on both the firmware and hardware sides. I'll start on this when I have the time after clearing the current priorities.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tpsretard » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:13 pm

If you can in the week or however long it takes, get to the point of defining what pins will do what, i have no problem taking a crack at the hardware needs.
But that is your choice, weather i help develop or just buy one, i will be one of your first clients.
tpsretard

Postby masterx81 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Second one here :)
And i think that as a standalone controller would interest some people. Would be nice to allow log of the sensors connected to this board (manual/auto duty, handbrake, accelerometers, brake, current, etc) to the ms3 via can...
masterx81

Postby jbelanger » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:15 pm

masterx81 wrote:Would be nice to allow log of the sensors connected to this board (manual/auto duty, handbrake, accelerometers, brake, current, etc) to the ms3 via can...

It will be. It will also be possible to log those from TunerStudio over the serial port regardless of whether or not it is connected to an MS over CAN.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby seb209726 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:01 am

If I may chime in despite not making any progress on my own project...

For the ones using a MS ECU and not looking at this project as a standalone controller, would it be possible to offer the possibility to use CAN to retrieve some data already acquired elsewhere by an existing installation in order to free some I/O?
I'm mainly thinking about RPM, but VSS and TPS could also be concerned depending on the user. This could limit the proliferation of add-on cards and CAN devices required in some instances.
seb209726

Postby jbelanger » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:19 am

seb209726 wrote:If I may chime in despite not making any progress on my own project...

For the ones using a MS ECU and not looking at this project as a standalone controller, would it be possible to offer the possibility to use CAN to retrieve some data already acquired elsewhere by an existing installation in order to free some I/O?
I'm mainly thinking about RPM, but VSS and TPS could also be concerned depending on the user. This could limit the proliferation of add-on cards and CAN devices required in some instances.

Yes, it was always the intention to allow getting data from an MS ECU over CAN. If you look at one of my previous post, the list of input ports for the different parameters does include a CAN option and that is to get the data from an MS ECU.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Jazz30-06 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Did anything ever come of this? It sounds like a much more versatile and also cheaper alternative to anything else currently available.
Jazz30-06

Postby jbelanger » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Unfortunately there is nothing concrete yet. It is still on the to-do list but there are a few things above it and progress is slow at this time.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Jazz30-06 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:10 am

Is there anything I might be able to do to help? I am doing a 6 speed swap soon, and I would like to have a DCCD controller as soon as I can, but I REALLY like the idea of this one. Most controllers have to use hardware I/O for information. If I could use CANBUS, that would be awesome! So, like I said, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Jazz30-06

Postby tpsretard » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:19 am

my first day back here for some time.

Unfortunately i had an accident where i was badly injured. But will like to get back to it.
tpsretard

Postby Jazz30-06 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:20 am

tpsretard wrote:my first day back here for some time.

Unfortunately i had an accident where i was badly injured. But will like to get back to it.

Well, I hope you have recovered!
Jazz30-06

Postby tpsretard » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:51 pm

had some time on the breadboard tonight with a hand full of components.

I need to get a few more things. but this is what i was thinking for the input conditioning. the brake inputs are much the same but the battery is dying, i will continue tomorrow. Hopefully i can get some feel back. However the inputs react quick and are protected from going above 5v. tested it up to 50.

2016-10-19 02_39_37-1 Schematic - C__Users_Jason King_Documents_eagle_DCCD Controller V2_DCCDv2.sch .png
2016-10-19 02_39_37-1 Schematic - C__Users_Jason King_Documents_eagle_DCCD Controller V2_DCCDv2.sch .png (37.93 KiB) Viewed 11941 times
tpsretard

Postby tpsretard » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:59 pm

started working on some of the parts groupings today. Have no idea how it will work with the connector, or even what connector to use it, Thinking a molex, and AMP connector would be nice but also add significant cost.

Going through formatting part numbers and values, aswel as parts names and sizes. Slow work but getting there.

2016-10-20 14_57_09-2 Board - C__Users_kingj_Documents_eagle_DCCD Controller V2_DCCDv2.brd - EAGLE 7.png
2016-10-20 14_57_09-2 Board - C__Users_kingj_Documents_eagle_DCCD Controller V2_DCCDv2.brd - EAGLE 7.png (68.03 KiB) Viewed 11934 times
tpsretard

Postby jbelanger » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:18 pm

I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner and I'm not ignoring this (or your PMs). I'll respond when I can take the time to think about it and say something useful.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby tpsretard » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:39 am

jbelanger wrote:I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner and I'm not ignoring this (or your PMs). I'll respond when I can take the time to think about it and say something useful.

Jean

No complaints here mate. i know you are a busy guy. I just posting here again to show people there is still interest ad it will happen :)
tpsretard

Postby dontz125 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:05 am

tpsretard wrote:started working on some of the parts groupings today. Have no idea how it will work with the connector, or even what connector to use it, Thinking a molex, and AMP connector would be nice but also add significant cost.

Going through formatting part numbers and values, aswel as parts names and sizes. Slow work but getting there.

tpsretard wrote:I have not had a chance to measure the coil current in the usable range of coil, but worst it will be is about 7 to 8 amps. probably just need a few vias and a pad to sink any heat away.

If this beasty you're laying out is going to be handling up to 8A, I might suggest you need to reconsider your Source path to ground for that FET - those two small vias are likely to do poorly. Ignoring the control circuitry for the moment, perhaps rearrange U1 and Q1 such that the U1-3 & 4 and the Q1 tab / Drain are adjacent and connected by a polygon (no thermals), and the Q1 Source pin is positioned for a heavy trace / polygon direct to a heavy ground pin.
dontz125

PreviousNext

Return to I/O Extender