Tiny IOx timer circuit VSS VR conditioner

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

Tiny IOx timer circuit VSS VR conditioner

Postby 5.3LS10 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Hey Everyone,

I currently have a MS3x in my car with the dual VR conditioner taking in front and rear wheel speed sensors for traction control.

I grabbed the tiny IOx because I need more inputs and outputs for warning lights, switched inputs, and ADCs for 0-5 sensors and pots for different things.

I was planning on using Spr1-4 on the Ms3x for CAN H, CAN L, GND and 5v between the MS3x and TinyIO. Right now those pins are used for the 2 VR inputs from the 2 wheel speed sensors. If I move the 2 VR speed sensors to the Tiny IOx what sort of conditioning circuit do I need to build? I assume I could reuse the dual VR conditioner board and run the outputs to two of the ADC inputs but I would prefer to not put it there since a friend of mine could use the circuit in his MS3x.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!
,Shane
5.3LS10

Re: Tiny IOx timer circuit VSS VR conditioner

Postby dontz125 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:05 am

A VR sensor needs a fairly specific kind of conditioning circuit in order to make the signal useful to a microprocessor. MS or TIOx, it's all the same. Whether for you or your buddy, sounds like someone's buying a Dual VR board from Jean.

A far as packaging goes, don't forget you already have 5v Vref and an assortment of GND pins already part of the lower DB37. SPR1 & SPR2 are the usual candidates for the CAN lines, but it doesn't really matter. Is this a V3.0 motherboard, or a V3.57? Don't forget the V3.57 has the DB15 with all its extra pins for useful purposes, and it isn't THAT hard to hack a hole in the end plate of a V3.0 to accept a DB15. If I'm not mistaken, the nice folks at DIY will probably be only too happy to take your money and sell you a V3.57 endplate!
dontz125

Postby 5.3LS10 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 pm

dontz125 wrote:A VR sensor needs a fairly specific kind of conditioning circuit in order to make the signal useful to a microprocessor. MS or TIOx, it's all the same. Whether for you or your buddy, sounds like someone's buying a Dual VR board from Jean.

A far as packaging goes, don't forget you already have 5v Vref and an assortment of GND pins already part of the lower DB37. SPR1 & SPR2 are the usual candidates for the CAN lines, but it doesn't really matter. Is this a V3.0 motherboard, or a V3.57? Don't forget the V3.57 has the DB15 with all its extra pins for useful purposes, and it isn't THAT hard to hack a hole in the end plate of a V3.0 to accept a DB15. If I'm not mistaken, the nice folks at DIY will probably be only too happy to take your money and sell you a V3.57 endplate!

it is a v3.0.

I just wanted to use those 4 pins that way they are together in a group from the harness and easier for me to trace than remember where I tapped into for the 5vref or which ground connection etc...

That is fine about the VR conditioner I just remember it being mentioned in the tinyIO documentation that the timer circuits can be used for VSS but if it requires a circuit that is not easily buildable or documented I would rather move the dual VR conditioner to the tinyio and just use 2 of the ADC inputs.

thanks for the input.

For the ADC circuits and the switched inputs are the circuits on page 31 and 32 of http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf correct?

I would think so.

thanks!
Shane
5.3LS10

Postby dontz125 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 am

The timer circuits can certainly be used for VSS, but they need a conditioning circuit if the sensor is VR. For a Hall sensor, all that's really needed is something like the ground switch input you noted, perhaps with a 12v pullup outboard of the series diode.

The circuits you suggested are fine. Have a look at the ADC filters used on the MS (schematics, page 168 of the manual) for more ideas. Note that any temperature sensors will need an appropriate bias resistor.
dontz125

Return to I/O Extender