MTX-L via Can gives wrong readings

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

MTX-L via Can gives wrong readings

Postby WestfieldMX5 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:05 pm

I've connected my MTX-L to the tinyiox and although all seems to be set OK, I'm getting wrong values for my AFR.
When I'm connecting the MTX-L to the analog O2 port, the values are correct.
Is this a setting that I have wrong somewhere? My TinyIOX reported AFR is 14.3 (green on the laptop) while the gauge is showing the real AFR of 16.4
The gauge does correspond to the laptop, ie it goes up and down together with the reading on the laptop.

WestfieldMX5

Re: MTX-L via Can gives wrong readings

Postby jbelanger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Have you changed the stoic value from 14.7? Or have you changed the MTX-L settings from the default range of 7.35 to 22.39? How did you calibrate the AFR on the TIOx?

Jean
jbelanger

Postby WestfieldMX5 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:33 pm

I have not changed the stoich value nor have I changed the default setting of 7.35 - 22.39.
Do I need additional calibration when connecting the MTX-L through the TinyIOx?

I had the analog output of the MTX-L connected to the normal O2 port on the MS. In this configuration, the value reported by TunerStudio corresponds to what the MTX-L gauge is showing. I've been using it this way for several years.
In the new setup I used the digital output of the MTX-L through TinyIOX. In this configuration, the values no longer correspond.
WestfieldMX5

Postby jbelanger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:38 pm

You should not need to do anything to calibrate the AFR data if you are looking at the data directly from the TIOx. However, if you are using the data on the MS there may be a need for calibration depending on your exact MS setup. First which MS type are you using? And how are you getting the AFR data?

Please post the msq from the TIOx and MS. A short datalog might also help.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby WestfieldMX5 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm using a MS3 Pro. I don't understand what you mean by 'how are you getting the AFR data'.
Attached are both my projects and an analog log (max 3 attachments allowed).
Attachments
analog O2.msl
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
TinyIOx Frank.msq
(38.16 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
MS3 Pro Frank.msq
(277.05 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
WestfieldMX5

Postby WestfieldMX5 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Here's a log of it connected through the TinyIOX
Attachments
digital O2.msl
(778.45 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
WestfieldMX5

Postby jbelanger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:55 pm

The settings look ok. I see that you are using the CAN EGO method which is what you I meant. It is the way to go with an MS3 but I wasn't sure that's what you had.

Can you take another datalog with the digital method but with the TIOx data also? For this you will need to add the TIOx as a CAN device to the MS3 project and then make sure the runtime data is enabled for the TIOx. If you're not sure how to do any of this, let me know. I need this because I need to compare the data on the MS3 with what is being read in the TIOx.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby WestfieldMX5 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Here's a new log with the runtime data enabled. Thank you for taking the time for this Jean.
Attachments
digital O2 runtime enabled.msl
(19.63 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
WestfieldMX5

Postby WestfieldMX5 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Probably unrelated, but I'm not sure how I set the terminator switch on the TinyIOx. If it's off, could this cause this behavior or will the TinyIOx simply not work.
WestfieldMX5

Postby jbelanger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:41 pm

No problem with the terminator switch. It won't affect the data in that way. Either the CAN bus will work or it won't. But it is better to set it the correct way (ON if this is the terminating device on your bus or the only CAN device and OFF otherwise).

The raw data on the TIOx seems to have the correct value and it is around 16.5-16.9. So there is something happening on the MS3 side.

I just noticed that you have the stoic value set at 12.7 instead of 14.7 in the general settings. I don't know if this is taken into account by the MS3 code for the CAN EGO data but that is definitely not what I would expect there. If that doesn't work, you might want to try to calibrate the AFR table in the tools menu. It should not be necessary but there might have been other code changes that I'm not aware of.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby WestfieldMX5 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:05 pm

thank you so much Jean. It was the 12.7 afr setting. I have no idea how and why I changed it to that value, but setting it back to 14.7 solved the problem.
Glad it is working now, been playing with this since last year :oops: .
WestfieldMX5

Postby jbelanger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Glad to see it is working. I did not know that the MS3 code was using the stoic value in the CAN EGO calibration but that makes sense. The Innovate data is actually in Lambda units (from 0.5 to 1.523) so if someone is using something other than gasoline/petrol with a different stoic value, it makes sense to use the correct value to compute the AFR.

And there are so many parameters in the different settings and it's not that difficult to change something without realizing it especially if the impact is not immediately visible. So these types of things happen. At least I've learned something new and that may be useful in the future.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to I/O Extender