i/o board and jimstim info needed..

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

i/o board and jimstim info needed..

Postby imakehp » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:16 pm

First I would like to know if the ext or tiny i/o board would tack this boards signal and convert it into Can so my MS2V3.0 would read it. This board puts out a "multitasking" digital signal. The best I can figure out is it's SPI...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Octo-8-MAX3185 ... 1438.l2649

Second question is how/where can I buy a JimStim kit (or assembled)........I need it so I can test everything before I mount it in the race car...

That's it for now, Thanks
imakehp

Re: i/o board and jimstim info needed..

Postby jbelanger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:47 pm

I will just paste the reply I sent you from your same question on the web site.

This would require custom code to make that work and I don't have plans for this.

Also, I must say that this does not look like a very good board design. It uses an analog multiplexer which is not designed to deal with the very small signal from a thermocouple and a thermocouple amplifier which is not directly connected to the thermocouple (as was mentioned on the msextra forum).

A thermocouple signal is very small, as I mentioned, and has characteristics that are dependent on temperature so it needs dedicated chips that do temperature compensation. There is such a chip on the board but it's not directly connected to the thermocouple. So I have no idea how much accuracy this board would have nor how repeatable the results might be. And I doubt anyone can tell you either.

And this is also a very slow setup. It only does one measurement per second for each of the 8 inputs. So you have a very slow refresh rate and each measurement is not for the same time for each input.

So this might look like a nice and cheap solution for 8 EGT inputs but I would not rely on it. You will get some data from it but I have no idea how reliable that data would be and it's at least an order of magnitude slower than other known good solutions.

As for the JimStim, you should look on the DIYAutotune.com site.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby imakehp » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:19 pm

hmmmm....you sound like the guy on the other board....lol

I guess I'm going to abandon pursuing that board then....I know nothing about Can Bus stuff and would have to rely on the forums to get anything Can based working. And if you and others are tell me that board is trouble on a stick, I'd be stupid not to listen...
I think I'll see if I can live with just the 2 tc datalogging system I have on the dragster already..if not I'll bite the bullet and get a CanEGT box...
Now, since I'm not going to install anything Can for a while at least, how can I test the Can circuit I jumper wired in? I want to make sure I did it correctly. What worries me is the first wire I soldered in I kinda burned the board a little. Will the StimJim test the Can circuit?
I looked on DIY site and don't see a assembled JimStim offered. The have kit but I learned yesterday I'm not a solderer of computer boards....Also they say the kit is v1.5 but also offer a 2.0 CPU? And then what is a JimStim X ?

Thanks for your help, Dave
imakehp

Postby jbelanger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:19 pm

The JimStimX is for testing the additional I/Os on the MS3X connector (additional DB37 connector). You don't need it for an MS2 or the base MS3. The JimStim board is v1.5 while the JimStim CPU has firmware 2.0.4; you get the latest with the kit. DIYAutotune used to have fully built unit but they don't seem to have them anymore; maybe you can try contacting them to see if they can build you one or recommend someone.

And there is no way to test the CAN bus other than with a CAN device. The JimStim has no CAN bus capability. If you're simply worried about your jumpers, check that you have continuity (0 Ohm) between the DB37 pins and the JS6-8 pads.

Jean
jbelanger

Return to I/O Extender