I/O Extender availability

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

Re: I/O Extender availability

Postby jbelanger » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:17 pm

As mentioned in another thread, I can now provide the case and external DB37 connector (with the shell) for an additional $25. So the board with the discrete components, the case, and the connector is available for $150 plus shipping.

So with that, all you need are the wires to have a functional I/O Extender setup. You may still need some discrete components for some ADC inputs but that should be minimal. If there are a few discrete components that add more functionality for a majority of people I may add that to future kits. Also, if you know that you'll need a few specific resistors or capacitors let me know when you order the board and I'll include them if I have them.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby JET » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:45 pm

Noticed this board was made for a slightly thinner case then the std. MS case, could it be used inside a MS case(the taller "context eng. "variant) without much trouble? Since the VR circuits are SMD, can the resisters be changed easily enough to be used/optimized for ignition wheel decoders? ....cheers
JET

Postby jbelanger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:26 pm

The board is 100mm and the MS case is 4" which is 101.4mm. It's going to be very loose in the slot but if you put it in either the top or the bottom slot it could be made to stay there since one end will be secured to the endplate with the DB37 connector and if you put some silicon or hot melt glue to hold the other end to the wider end slots. However, I can't guarantee that this will be ok and will be entirely dependent on the installation.

And changing the VR circuits SMD resistors would not be that difficult but that depends on how comfortable you are with a soldering iron and what type of tip your iron has (a wider tip will make it easier since you can heat both sides of the resistor at the same time to remove it). The R4 to R14 resistors are 0805 1/4W 10K Ohms. You may not need to change them for most VR sensors. You may also be able to put an additional series resistor in place of the jumper to the DB37 if there is a need. By the way there are 2 inputs per VR circuit and each one has an inline resistor.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby turbo bob » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:57 pm

I just want to make sure i'm following correctly, MS2/extra 3.0.3 is currently the only supported firmware fully compatible with the Extender? I just recently installed 2.1.0 release and started making my MSQ's up to date for that firmware, but if only the 3.0.3 firmware has the supported firmware changes then I will just update to that right away and see how everything works. I'm assuming this is the alpha that is out there because I did not see any MS2/extra 3.x yet in beta?
turbo bob

Postby jbelanger » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:03 pm

turbo bob wrote:I just want to make sure i'm following correctly, MS2/extra 3.0.3 is currently the only supported firmware fully compatible with the Extender? I just recently installed 2.1.0 release and started making my MSQ's up to date for that firmware, but if only the 3.0.3 firmware has the supported firmware changes then I will just update to that right away and see how everything works. I'm assuming this is the alpha that is out there because I did not see any MS2/extra 3.x yet in beta?

Correct. The latest is 3.0.3r.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby UnaClocker » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:31 pm

With over 20k miles on the 3.0 codebase, I can tell you from experience, it's great firmware. Many bugs that are actually still in 2.1.0 are fixed in 3.0.3.. I hope the 3.0 codebase can have a release version sometime soon, I wouldn't want anyone running closed loop idle to have to use the 2.1 firmware after all the improvements Ken made to it.. And there are several other important bug fixes in it.. It was called Alpha because of the major injection changes Jean added to get Sequential in there.. I live on that code, it just works.. ;)
'84 Dodge Rampage - MS3
UnaClocker

Postby turbo bob » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:24 am

I just updated last night but still need to test the INJ banks, RPM/ignition, all else tested fine

Will hopefully start the car up this weekend
turbo bob

Postby Stu_D » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:27 am

Jean,

Do you have a price for the I/O_X with the Logger board? I don't think i have seen a price for the logger board anywhere yet.
Stu_D

Postby jbelanger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:06 pm

The logger board pricing information is not easily found but is available here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105#p652. Basically this is what the post says:

The board is available but I haven't publicized it since the firmware for SD logging is not yet ready but the other features of the logger board are supported by the latest firmware.

The AD597s are optional since the chips are rather expensive and not everyone will need 8 of them. The board with the 3-axis accelerometer, the USB port, the real-time clock, the SD card socket, the 3.3V power supply, the 8 generic ADC circuits (assembled for either EGT measurement or generic analog inputs other than thermistors which will require adding a through hole bias resistor), and all the connectors to connect the logger board to the base I/O Extender board and connect the EGT probes or analog inputs is the same price as the base I/O Extender at $125.

The optional AD597s are available at $10 each installed and there is a small discount if you get many: 8 are $70, 6 are $55 and 4 are $37.50. The optional GPS module has to be purchased from Sparkfun directly (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=9133).

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Stu_D » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:37 pm

jbelanger wrote:The logger board pricing information is not easily found but is available here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105#p652. Basically this is what the post says:

The board is available but I haven't publicized it since the firmware for SD logging is not yet ready but the other features of the logger board are supported by the latest firmware.

The AD597s are optional since the chips are rather expensive and not everyone will need 8 of them. The board with the 3-axis accelerometer, the USB port, the real-time clock, the SD card socket, the 3.3V power supply, the 8 generic ADC circuits (assembled for either EGT measurement or generic analog inputs other than thermistors which will require adding a through hole bias resistor), and all the connectors to connect the logger board to the base I/O Extender board and connect the EGT probes or analog inputs is the same price as the base I/O Extender at $125.

The optional AD597s are available at $10 each installed and there is a small discount if you get many: 8 are $70, 6 are $55 and 4 are $37.50. The optional GPS module has to be purchased from Sparkfun directly (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=9133).

Jean

Thanks for the Info Jean, I obviously did not look hard enough :roll: Is there any chance the boards will be available with the SMD parts in kit form?
Stu_D

Postby jbelanger » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Stu_D wrote:Thanks for the Info Jean, I obviously did not look hard enough :roll: Is there any chance the boards will be available with the SMD parts in kit form?

There are no plans for that because just packaging the parts would be almost as much work for me as doing the assembly. But you can get the AD597s (and the needed resistors) yourself and solder them to the board.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Stu_D » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Ok, that is probably true.

Would there be any possibility of a 14point7 JAW stile display using Freescale's MC14489, if there is a suitable serial bus available of course?

Maybe be able to cycle through several parameters like a trip computer found on most modern cars?
Stu_D

Postby jbelanger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm looking at that but I'd want to use a set of unused ports. At the moment, the serial and I2C ports are in use but there is one SPI port that is available. So that would be my preferred solution even though it would also be possible to use one of the I2C ports.

There is always the possibility of directly controlling the display with digital I/Os but that gives less flexibility than having a more elaborate display controlled through some sort of comm port.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Shortbus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Any new data about availability? I am interested I getting one?
Shortbus

Postby jbelanger » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:23 pm

The I/O Extender board is available and pricing is given on the first page of this thread. And the logger board is also available and pricing for this and the available options is given a few posts up.

From you email, you're also interested in reading AFR data. For this, it will depend on which WBO2 controller you want to use since the I/O Extender supports both the Innovate LC-1 and the 14point7 SLC OEM. They use different ports so each setup is different.

If you're interested in the new 8 SLC board, it is not quite ready. While the board is done, I've yet to fully test it. I'm looking at having the board tested in a fully populated configuration with all 8 SLCs and sensors. Once this is done, I'll be confident that the board will work with anything from 1 to 8 SLCs and sensors.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Shortbus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:21 pm

Jean, I am looking for wideband afr connections to be used with slc_oem.... and more general purpose inputs/outputs.

I like the logger and the accelerometer/gps/sd card boards but will purchase in the future. Right now, I am looking for 2 widebands and more inputs/outputs (fuel pressure, fan controllers for example). I like your method of bringing in wideband data with the slc_oem.

I will be using it with and MS3 over CAN.

Thanks
Shortbus

Postby jbelanger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Using the I/O Extender with MS3 is really simple: you just connect the CANL and CANH on the MS to the I/O Extender CANL and CANH. Then you configure everything in TunerStudio. Of course, you need to build the circuits on the I/O Extender but that also depends on the circuit (the VR conditioners are already assembled).

As mentioned, the 8 SLC OEM board is not quite ready but it should be available in a few weeks (end of the month or maybe earlier for 2 SLCs). You can also use an external solution with 2 SLC OEM eval kits connected together and to the I/O Extender but then you'd have to package that somehow.

You can start with the base board and the SLC board and later on add the logger board. But you'll have to use the taller case since the SLC board won't fit in the shorter case.

I can let you know when I'm confident that the SLC board is sufficiently tested. And I don't have the taller cases in stock but I'll have a look at that.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Shortbus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Is the slc board separate than the io extenders board?

So I need:
the tall case
the io extender board
the slc board

Right?

I don't think I need more than 2 widebands. The packaging on an LT1 camaro with long tubes it kind of tight. I will just have to live with one wideband on each bank.
Shortbus

Postby jbelanger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Right. Well, actually you'll also need the 2 SLC OEM modules and WBO2 sensors in addition.

And the I/O Extender is one board that has the CPU and CAN transceiver to communicate with the MS3 (and a bunch of other additional I/Os). The SLC board is a separate board that is connected to the I/O Extender CPU so that the CPU communicates with the 8 SLCs to get the AFR data in digital form and send it on the CAN bus to the MS3 (or MS2). Each board fits a specific slot in the case. And the SLC board (or more precisely the octo SLC carrier board) itself has the connectors so that up to 8 SLC OEM modules can be plugged in.

I'll have pictures of the setup in a few days.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby Shortbus » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Jean, put me down for one io/extender board and case. (If you have a tall case available)

I will get the SLC_OEM board when they are ready.
Shortbus

PreviousNext

Return to I/O Extender