Firmware upgrade

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

Re: Firmware upgrade

Postby slinger2519 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:25 pm

How should we be wiring the CAN Bus? Could using twisted pair shielded cable help?
slinger2519

Postby slinger2519 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:35 pm

Tried a few more times and still getting

"Can't erase block at address 0x00DF90
Program memory failed."

Is the fact that its the same address every time significant?
slinger2519

Postby jbelanger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:45 pm

A twisted pair would be a good idea. However, I'm not sure that what you are seeing is due to a CAN bus communication error; it is also possibly due to an RS-232 comm error.

I just made some test and with a bad CAN connection (bad meaning that CANH is not connected) I do get the 0x8a error. So do check that you have a good contact from CANH on the MS board to CANH on the IOX and a good contact from CANL on the MS board to CANL on the IOX.

And just as an additional note, I also tested the upgrade with a Bluetooth adapter on the MS and it works (once the CAN bus is correctly connected). It is a lot slower but it completes correctly.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:49 pm

slinger2519 wrote:Tried a few more times and still getting

"Can't erase block at address 0x00DF90
Program memory failed."

Is the fact that its the same address every time significant?

It is significant in that this is the first address it tries to erase when upgrading the firmware. That means that the PC never received confirmation that the action was performed. So it could be that the erase message never reached the IOx or the response never came back. It's difficult to say where the problem is but it is again a comm error of some sort.

Does it say "Going to bootloader mode" before printing the version string?

Jean

EDIT: Looking at your screen capture it doesn't show it. That means that at some point the message went through to the IOx and there is a partial upgrade. So now you need to complete the upgrade before you can use the IOx because the code is partially erased. It's not a problem because the bootloader is not erased but you need to correct the comm problem to go through the complete upgrade.
jbelanger

Postby slinger2519 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Made up a shielded twisted pair cable going directly from the MS3-PRO to the CAN H/CAN L pins on the IOx, total length is less than 2m.
Didn't seem to help much, but now I am able to get a different output in addition to the other.

error 2.png
error 2.png (28.99 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

I assume this is still caused by a communication error, correct?
slinger2519

Postby jbelanger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Is this done while the MS3-Pro is on the car or is it on the bench? The only time I've had issues like this was when the MS was connected to the JimStim and there was an RPM reading; turning off the RPM signal solved the issue.

Another thing I just thought of is that you need to disable CAN polling on the MS3 before making the upgrade. So go to the CAN parameters settings and make sure all the polling options are disabled. You can simply re-enable them after the upgrade; all the other parameters should still be correct if you don't change them. If you have any CAN VSS, gear, EGO polling, you need to disable that too.

The problem is that the MS3-Pro is trying to send CAN messages to the IOx at the same time as the PC is sending messages and there are conflicts especially when the IOx is in bootloader mode. And since there aren't any command to specifically turn off CAN polling, the downloader can't do it before starting the upgrade.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby slinger2519 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Got it!!!
Under CAN parameters all polling was turned off, but under CAN Broadcasting "Enable broadcasting" was still on.

For future reference these settings worked for me

CAN Parameters.png
CAN Parameters.png (52.1 KiB) Viewed 4542 times

CAN Broadcasting.png
CAN Broadcasting.png (17.05 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
slinger2519

Postby jbelanger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:19 pm

I hadn't thought of the CAN broadcasting because I've never used it but it makes sense that it could be a problem.

I have added a note on the first post to remind people to disable these things.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:26 pm

There is a third place to check with an MS3 or MS3-Pro:
CAN_VSS_gear_EGO.png
CAN VSS. gear, EGO
CAN_VSS_gear_EGO.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 4541 times

Jean
jbelanger

Postby jbelanger » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:22 pm

I have updated the first post to mention that the new preferred method for upgrading the firmware is to use the latest version of the port scanner. This is valid for the IOx (all versions), TinyIOx and CAN-EGT.

Jean
jbelanger

Previous

Return to I/O Extender