TinyIOx

http://jbperf.com/io_extender/index.html
http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html for the TinyIOx

Re: TinyIOx

Postby jbelanger » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:45 am

Yes, I did mention that a simple transistor would need to be used in my previous post (with a base resistor). But you don't say what event will make the fan turn on. Is it above a certain coolant temperature? And what exactly did you try?

Jean
jbelanger

Postby kjones6039 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:13 am

II have been using my Tiny to run my cooling fans, shift light, etc. for some time now, without any issues. After a very brief discussion over on the other forum, with Jean, I decided to try using 3 conditions instead of 2 to control the digital outputs.

Long story short..... I managed to twiddle my TinyIOx right out of existence! In my infinite wisdom, I elected to reload the firmware and suspect that I may have loaded the wrong firmware and ini.

A link to the latest firmware and ini would be most appreciated! :D

Ken
kjones6039

Postby jbelanger » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:29 am

The latest firmware is here. There is a sticky with the firmware information for the TinyIOx (you have posted to it before...).

Also to load the firmware, you might want to use the latest port scanner. It is much nicer and easier to use than the command line call.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby mwp » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 am

Jean, could you split off the TinyIOx into its own sub-forum?
It would make discussions, new fw, etc so much easier to keep track of.
At the moment its quite a mess.
mwp

Postby Yury » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:36 am

Is it possible to configure Tiny IOx to use two Innovate TC-4 connected in chain (8 EGT channels in total)?
Yury

Postby jbelanger » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:42 am

No, the TinyIOx does not support the TC-4 at this time.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby eMTea » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi Jean!

I plan to buy a TinyIO board from you, but I seem to be a little lost in how to wire things up.
I want to use it to add monitoring devices to my setup, such as fuel pressure, fuel temp, oil pressure, oil temp, exhaust temp, backpressure etc.
1. All the pressure sensors are 0-5v, can I wire them directly to the ADC input?
2. All the low temp thermal sensors will probably be bosch type sensors, how do I build a circuit to understand those signals?
3. What would you recommend to do, to monitor exhaust pressure?

BR: Magnar, Norway.
eMTea

Postby jbelanger » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Magnar,

It is always recommend to use a conditioning circuit between the sensors and the TinyIOx ADC inputs. There are 2 main reasons for this: you want to protect the CPU from an accidental short to 12V and you want to reduce noise. And this is needed even with a sensor that generates a 0-5V signal.

The usual way is to duplicate the circuits used on the MS main board which is just a couple of capacitors and a resistor. And you need one such circuit per sensor/ADC input. For temp sensors, you again can duplicate the MS circuits but you will want to use a bias resistor (the on that is 2.49k on the MS board for GM type sensors) that corresponds to the sensor and temp range you will use. Measure the resistance of your sensor at the temperature that the sensor will spend most of its time and use a resistor that is close to that. That will give the best resolution in the normal temp range.

For exhaust pressure, you can use the same type of sensor as the one used for MAP but you will need to use some length of tubing to keep the heat away from the sensor. And make sure to keep the sensor higher than the pickup point so that any fluid won't find its way to the sensor.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby eMTea » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks for the reply, good explanations!
I will dig into it to find out what I will need.

On #3 I ment exhaust temp, my bad.
I have a auber instrument with K-wire, but I want to connect it directly to Ms for logging abilities.
eMTea

Postby dontz125 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:33 am

Not sure which Auber device you're looking at, but a type-K thermocouple needs an amp for the MS / TIOx to properly read it. The MS1 web manual still has the various circuits most people want, including the EGT logger circuit. I'd suggest the 1250C version.
dontz125

Postby MS2tester » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:37 am

would it be an idea to add a form of traction control to the tiny code ?
i was thinking something like an active condition versus an active condition
say you have PwmA input versus PwmC input the condition needs to be equal = with a hysterix of 200 pulses in this case?
or cut digital out relais with 12 volt to distributor coil possible with a duty cycle frequency so it would be an intermittent cut
in this way at low wheel speed you can have a bigger difference than at higher wheel speed!
you could repeat this for PwmB versus PwmD
this way you could bring traction control to older muscle cars (carburated) or dune buggy,s for example
idea? or just plain stupid! :geek:
the tiny could work in a stand alone fashion
MS2tester

Postby jbelanger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:07 pm

Cutting 12V to a coil may produce a spark at the wrong time. That could destroy an engine.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby dontz125 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:08 pm

How is this different from standard spark-cut rev limiting?

(I swear we've had this discussion before ... :) )
dontz125

Postby jbelanger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:18 pm

Standard spark cut will not start a dwell period because the coil activation is directly controlled. Using an external 12V supply cut means the device cutting power has no idea of when the dwell starts and can cut short a dwell period and result in a spark at a very early time so you can have and engine breaking over-advance.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby MS2tester » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:24 am

grounding the high voltage output maybe?
Attachments
g71a.pdf
(165.48 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
MS2tester

Postby MS2tester » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:10 am

was one other thing i was thinking about!
having the relais in parallel with the coil negative side trigger
keeping the coil energized therefore not sparking during wheel spin
should it release before top dead center and before the normal spark would occur
coil energizing would be continued by the original trigger mechanism
i have the original rocker arm/points mechanism in mind

i don,t know wat the dwell point would be with this system depending on the cylinder number 4 maybe something like 45 crank degrees?
8 cylinder 22,5 crank degrees?
so the question would be, would it hurt the engine if the coil was de-energized before the points close
later would mean after the original spark moment!
or am i overlooking something here? :?
but i guess the high voltage relais would be the safer option
MS2tester

Postby kjones6039 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:21 am

Jean,

I haven't the foggiest notion where this might belong, so please move it to the proper place. In fact, it may actually belong on the MSExtra forum, depending on what I learn here.

MS2 v3, f/w 3.4.2 release
TinyIOx f/w v0.2.0

I want to use FIdle for converter lockup. I also want to use all 4 Tiny outputs (PTE2-PTE5) for 2 stage fan control and some more of my hare brained schemes.

All of my testing has been with a JimStim using TPS to activate the various outputs..... (ie. TPS>40 activates output)

As soon as I enable the Tiny in TS using the CAN Parameters menu item I loose control of the FIdle output from MS, until I disable Channel1 (PTE2) .

If I leave Channel1 enabled (or not) PTE3-5 respond normally, but PTE2 and FIdle do not. In fact, PTE2 does not work under any circumstances.

I have tried a number of different combinations of firmware (in MS and Tiny) to no avail. I even replaced MS2 and TinyIOx cards without any success.

I doubt that I have presented this issue in an understandable form, so please ask specific questions and I will do my best to clarify.

Thoughts on this? Possibly a bug? MS or Tiny issue? I'm certainly stumped!

Ken
kjones6039

Postby jbelanger » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Ken,

I will need a copy of your project ,the complete project not just the msq. When saving the project in TunerStudio, make sure to not save the datalog and restore points (2 check boxes on the right) to keep the size reasonable.

Jean
jbelanger

Postby kjones6039 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:36 pm

Here you go, Jean...... I hope this reveals something. WARNING: This file has been severely twiddled!!!

Thanks in advance

Ken

EDIT: Just did some more twiddling and found that the issue has nothing to do with PTE2..... However it does have to do with channel1 (port1 if you prefer).
I reassigned PTE5 to port1 and PTE2 to port4 and PTE2 now works as expected. As before, when I disable channel1 (PTE5), FIdle works as it should. Hope that makes sense. I have replaced the original project file with this one.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: More twiddling and learned a bit more. Just for the heck of it I rolled the f/w back to 0.0.3, set up 6 channels in the CAN device (ports 2-7), leaving channel 1 unassigned. I set up the corresponding 6 remote ports in TS, again leaving port 1 disabled. VOILA!!! FIdle now works correctly (with CAN enabled) and I have 6 working remote on/off ports. Actually I can work with what I have now although I remain curious about why enabling CAN messes with FIdle!

I have replaced the project file once again.

Testing TinyIOx.tsproj
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
kjones6039

Postby kjones6039 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:58 pm

Any thoughts on this?

If not I think I will just reinstall in the car and work with what I have.

Ken
kjones6039

PreviousNext

Return to I/O Extender